Why won’t open tabs stay closed on Firefox ?

Tom July 1, 2010

After looking at different sites I close them all when shutting down. However, the next time I open up Mozilla Firefox and go to the internet, all of the previous sites still come up. WHY?

1. Ryan Dube

Go into Options -> Tabs, and make sure "Open new windows in a new tab instead" is selected. You may also need to select "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" - although that may not be necessary. The warning message will ask if you want to save your tabs, and you can just select no. The reason this is happening is because Firefox is defaulting to saving your tabs when you close them, but selecting "open new windows in a new tab instead" will stop it from opening the previous sites again.

Tom,do you close the tabs before you close Firefox or do you just close the browser with the tabs still open?If it's the latter, then the tabs re-open because your previous browser session was saved. Per default, Firefox comes with a session manager. You can edit its behavior under > Tools > Options > General tab.In the > Startup section you will see the following options for > When Firefox starts:- Show my home page- Show a blank page- Show my windows and tabs from last timeSee screenshot: http://www.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/FirefoxSessionManager01.png
    I also have the Session Manager addon installed, so I see more options. But I bet you that you have the third option selected.Hope this helps, let us know!

• Tdebartolo

Hi Tina and thank you for your reply. I have exited every tab individually by the "x"; by right clicking the tab and choosing "close tab" and also by having my HOME PAGE up, right clicking on its tab and choosing close all other tabs. Also, I have always had "Show My Home Page" selected from day one. I have a picture of the box but don't know how to post it here for you, like you did. How can I attach that file to this message like yours?

Thanks,
      Tom

Tom,

image URLs are automatically attached. I just entered the URL.

I assume it's always the same set of tabs that reopens.
        When did this start?
        Do you have any addons installed that could cause this behavior?
        Think of bookmarks manager, read it later kind of addons, or maybe a session manager?

It's really all I can think of.
        Everything else would just be trial and error: clear cache, delete cookies, delete history, make sure Firefox is really closed (> task manager > processes), update Firefox, and last but not least, reinstall.

• Jack Cola

Try opening a new FireFox window (not tab) and then go to the previous Firefox window with the tabs you are trying to close and close the window (not tab). Depending your settings, you may be prompted to close all tabs. Once you do that, and close Firefox completely, it should only re-open the new Window you opened that only had the homepage.

Unless Firefox is somehow opening a bookmark folder every time - which I think you can do in IE

• Tdebartolo

Thanks, but nothing has changed. When you say open and close Firefox windows (not tab), what exactly do you mean? I think I did that but would like your clarification.

Thanks,
          Tom

Jack means that you close the entire window, not one tab after another. You can do that through the menu by clicking > File > Exit.

• Jack Cola

So when your browser and tabs are open that you want to close,

1. File --> New Window
          2. Revert back to open window and tabs
          3. File --> Close Window
          4. In the browser window you just open, click File --> Close Window
          5. Firefox should now be completely closed
          6. Re-open firefox
          7. Tell us what happened