Which is the best open source office application?

Kyem Ghosh April 20, 2012

I like to use open source software. I’ve used Open Office, it’s pretty good and I feel I can replace Microsoft Office 2007 with it. As I’ve have a Celeron (R) processor, it sometimes shows high CPU usage and makes my computer slow.

I want to know which open source office is the best for Windows. I would like to choose a light and user friendly solution and it should be more or less like Mircosoft Office 2007. Is there anything available?

1. Fred Hughes

How to COPY one DVD to a blank DVD? Computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop so I expect it's an IBM with Windows. Thank you. fred.

Free, (but not Open Source) is Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 which is a very fine package, with a very similar "look and feel" to MS Office 2003. The "Professional" version of same costs money and adds adds a small number of features (Macros, support for more file formats and an Office 2010-style ribbon).
    I also agree with those who mentioned Zoho office - very nice! (although again, free, but not open source).

3. Defiant Blogger

Well, i used Open Office, it is a good alternative to MS Office

May not be a good solution for smaller systems since a single instance loads the entire suite much like Microsoft Works.  Lotus Symphony tends to have a large footprint which is why I didn't include it in my original response.

5. Kyem Ghosh

I didnt ever hear its name. But I'll try it for sure... Thanx for a new item...

6. d610

I use LibreOffice at home but when I create a PowerPoint file on a machine with MS Office 2010 or 2007, edit it using LibreOffice, bring it back and try opening it with MS Office, the program says the file is corrupt or something like that. It offers to fix the file so I let it and it's all messed up. It works fine for documents though, maybe I just have to fix the formatting for certain documents occasionally. If I JUST use LibreOffice (OpenOffice) it's great. I also use Google Docs. 

• Kyem Ghosh

Ya it should happen when u try to work on a single file with two different softwares cz the programs copile ur files in their own ways which are not similar to each other & it makes the difference between the two softwares. I js wanna use an Open Source Office n I'm finding the best one. And maximum of the comments suggest me Libre Office n I'll use it!!!

• d610

Yeah they have different ways of creating files, basically. Fortunately they can understand each other for the most part. At least the necessary parts. Extra features might not be preserved. 

• trash

Make sure you're using .doc file format and not the new .docx, OpenOffice doesn't support the new standard, and I doubt LibreOffice would either. If they're both .doc you shouldn't see any more compatibility problems.

• d610

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. I usually make pretty plain presentations to prevent problems (Google Docs presentation) but the last group project I did they added  the new fancy transitions and themes which might have been it, or it was just the format. All I did was edit the slide text and I saved it as the same file so I don't understand why it messes the entire thing up. I suppose though to make compatible files the new MS Office only allows certain effects and such that will be available in older versions? Otherwise it will be the same problem when you use features in LibreOffice and save as .doc and it doesn't show right in MS Office. 

• Kyem Ghosh

I use Google Docs and its very good. But still offline Office is always required. And the presentations made in Google Docs cab be saved and cab be easily saved and runs smooth in MS Office 2007 and Open Office. I'm on my way to complete downloading the libre office and will soon chk it there.... Thanx...

• Kyem Ghosh

I found .docx format only in MS Office. No other office suit does not support this format. So I think its jst a special format for MS Word. I'm least bothered about this format n I don't need to use it. But still thanx for the info....

7. Chris Hoffman

LibreOffice is basically the successor to OpenOffice: 
    http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

If you just need a Microsoft Word-like application, try Abiword. It has much fewer features, but it's small and light: http://www.abisource.com/

• gpvprasad

I support libreoffice. Because even google docs supporting the extensions of libreoffice.

You've got OpenOffice or LibreOffice which has more features, but some of those features use Java which may be what is slowing your computer.  They are the probably best 2 free office suites.  There is also SoftMaker Office 2008 which I will be checking out in a few days, but it looks like a good replacement with a word processor, presentation software, and spreadsheet.  There is no database with this one.  This is a fully functional version but not their latest (2012) which costs about $80.