Why can I not open my Seagate 1Tb hard disk, although it is showing in MyComputer?

Sushree Dash March 11, 2012

My Seagate 1Tb hard disk with 800GB data is not working. I can see it in MyComputer, but it’s not opening . I can’t see my data. It’s important for me. How can I solve my problem ?

1. aelaos

if you don't have any data in it , try formating it to NTFS . Or try a sofware like partition magic to make smaller partitions

2. i see u

the HDD capacity may be greater than what ur motherBoard supports, how old is ur board?

3. Abdullah Sorathia

Or you had to redraw your MBR Table but that is too risky as its can hamper your data

4. Abdullah Sorathia

Does the drive show up in device manager (i.e. detected?). If so, can you try going to the disk management panel (run "compmgmt.msc" and then click disk management) and see if you can assign the external HDD a drive letter.

assuming you have restore points, use windows restore point to revert to earlier state when everything was fine.

open device manager scroll to your external hard drive, right click on it and choose uninstall, then reboot pc and let windows to reinstall a new driver.

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
    2. Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. select automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

you can try this Microsoft Fixit
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us