Why can’t I open PowerPoint files in Linux?

barelohim November 5, 2011

I use Linux Mint. I installed pptheml from the package install and it says it has been installed, but I can’t find it? I have a dozen pps files I would like to view, but can’t open them without this app. Does anyone know where it is hiding?

Hello, Is it not a possible to just do a custom install?  If it is possible you could have tried using a custom installation of Openoffice and only select the program of the suite you wanted.  In this case, when executing the file, pick Impress and take the marks off the other options.  Then proceed as normal.  By doing this, you could have avoided installing the whole suite.  Don't despair, you might find a use for the rest of the program later.

2. Barelohim

Well fellas, since not being able to find the install of ppthtml, I reinstalled OpenOffice, just so I could use " LibreOffice Impress" portion of the App. What a waste of space for one portion of the pie.

thanks all for the responses.
    Bar.

pptHtml is a command line utility to convert PPT files into HTML

If you want to open, view and/or edit PowerPoint files I suggest to install something like OpenOffice.