Why can I not open PowerPoint attachments to my eMails?

Peggie September 3, 2010

I have Windows 7. Even though I downloaded the free version of PowerPoint, I cannot open any eMails that use PowerPoint to see the eMail. I can save it to a special folder on the desktop and open it, but not directly from the eMail.

1. Praveen Shallot

i will suggest u to create a new account in gmail and try in it...
    sure it will work

2. Jessica Cam W.

I'm assuming you're talking about Powerpoint Viewer, as there's no free version of Powerpoint. What email client are you using? If you're using a web-based email, like Gmail, you get the option to open the file directly ("View") or save it ("Download"), for which you'd just need to press Download to view it with Powerpoint Viewer. If you press on View, you'll see it with the Google Docs Viewer. More information about your email client and web browser (if you're using web-based email) would be helpful.

• Ed

This is exactly my problem and unfortunately pressing Download does not enable me to view it. I have windows 7. It gives me options of various programs (WMP, etc) to open it with but not Powerpoint Viewer even though I downloaded it. Thanks for all your help.

Ed,

once you have downloaded the file to your computer and try to open it, Windows will suggest several programs to open it with. If the program of your choice is not in the list, you can > Browse... for the right program. Simply navigate to the Powerpoint Viewer .exe and let Windows open it with that.

Alternatively, you can try to first open Powerpoint Viewer and then open the .ppt file from within that program.

Please let us know whether this worked. Thank you!