How do I open Office documents in Word?

Michelle November 11, 2014

Why when I try to open an Excel or Word file either from the Internet directly or from the documents folder, Microsoft Office launches, but not the file.

I can open it once I am in the office suite, but I would like to open files directly, by clicking on them or immediately after downloading them.

1. Doc

What happens when you double-click the file? Can you do a "repair" of Office from Control Panel -> Programs and Features?
    It seems like the Word and Excel files are still associated with their programs, but the code to open the program isn't including the name of the file to open. For example, the command that is run when you double-click a ".DOC" or ".DOCX" file should be winword.exe "%1", where "%1" represents the file (in quotes, in case there's a space in the filename or directory path), but Windows just launches winword.exe without it. You may have some corrupted registry entries for file associations, and repairing Office (or uninstalling and reinstalling the malfunctioning applications) should fix this.

which version of microsoft office you have?