Why can I not open links using Windows Live Mail?

Joe April 23, 2010

I’m using Live Mail. When I open MakeUseOf.com and others like it and try to click on a link, I get a hand pointer and a small circle with a line through it, then an “opps” frame saying I can’t connect. I’ve tried Google Help, and Internet searches, but haven’t found an answer to what is going on. Any ideas?

1. Mirav30

When I'm reading hotmail (and others too) in Outlook, I too can't always open links.
    For some this works:
    in the message go to 'message', then 'other possibilities', therein click 'show in browser'.
    This works for me most of the time, but I'd really like to be able to link directly. I suppose it's the way I configured outlook Tried lots of different things, nothing seems to work.

So Joe, did any of the above solved the problem for you?

3. Johnathan TheTool Lane

It could be that Live Mail doesn't know how to handle the request. Try right-clicking and specifying open link in a new tab. That way Live Mail is sending your browser a specific request.

Hope I helped!

I suggest there is something wrong with your internet/proxy settings and when Live Mail tries to access a website, it fails to connect. Make sure Live Mail says you are working online. There should be an option in File somewhere, and also check your internet settings in Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer, go Tools --> Options --> Iternet Settings --> Connections --> Lan Settings. The default option that most people use is Detect Automatically.

• Ian

Jack - Lan settings are as you suggested (detect automatically) but problem persists i.e. Live mail will not open links.
      Ian

• Jack Cola

There's probably some setting where it disables clickable links.