Why can I not open files in Windows Vista that I transfered from a Windows XP drive?

john January 12, 2012

I have transfered files from a Windows XP drive to a Windows Vista drive. Now I cannot open them, saying it needs permission. Have done claim rights, but does not work.

Hello, you could try enabling the hidden administrator account in vista by doing the following:

-- click on start
    -- type cmd in search bar
    -- highlight cmd.exe and right click on it
    -- select run as administrator
    -- when command prompt opens, type the following:

net user administrator /active:yes

-- make sure to check command run succesfully.  It it didn't, try creating a password for account by running next command before running the one above:

net user administrator xxxxxx  (change "xxxxxx" with your password)

-- log out
    -- you should see the hidden administrator account showing in login page, log in with it
    -- take ownership and then give your user account full control

Let us know how it goes.

Take ownership
    http://www.rizonesoft.com/2011/ownership-shell/
    Take Ownership” option under the Explorer right-click menu that will handle all the steps for you

1.Right-click on the folder and choose Sharing and Security...
    2.Click on the Security tab
    3.Click the Advanced button
    4.Set the permissions you want - typically you will want to allow Administrators, System, and Creator Owner to have full control
    5.Check the box labeled Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects
    6.Click OK
    7.Click Yes in the dialog box that appears asking if you are sure
    8.Wait while Windows recursively applies the specified permissions to all sub-folders and files