How can I open a .db file?
Question by Victoria /

The .db file was generated by a software. Purpose of software is a wiki notebook. I believe the .db file is SQLite.

How do I extract data from the .db file so the output I get is not gibberish?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
Mac OSX Tips & Issues

• Diannelane47

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser

you might try this it worked for me

Hi Victoria,

Were you able to open the file using suggestions above?

Aibek

I believe you can use Base included with Libre Office to open database files. Here is a link:

http://www.libreoffice.org/features/base/

Hi Victoria - I believe Microsoft Excel is able to open the databases, try right clicking and select open with -> Excel, or open directly from within Excel.

Bear in mind, the data in the database may not be as you expect, though it depends on the software you used. Most likely there is a column for wiki contents with each record pertaining to a different wiki page, probably formatted as wiki code or HTML. You may have many copies of the same page too, each a different "revision" as the page was updated. It will take a long time to get at the data you want, I think.

Perhaps it would be better to reinstall the software you originally used, and look for an "export" option - it is possible it will let you output a bunch of PDF files, or HTML files, or something more humanly readable than a DB.

Hope that helps.

• geethaa

I assume that your SQL database is in .rar/.zip/.tar format and you're trying to extract it and insert it to a database. You can just upload it to your server and tell your host to do it by telling them to extract it and insert to the database you intended to. If you're using direct admin your backup file will probably appears without any extension. Same as above, upload, tell your host to do the dirty work.