How do I open my contacts with a file extension .abcdp recovered from lost iPhone data?

Donny August 4, 2011

I recently had to recover lost data from an iPhone 3G that was never backed up. I created an image of the iPhone (about 8GB). I used Photorec to parse the image and it seems like it did the job.

I have one problem though. The contacts look as though they are in vcard format, but have an extension of .abcdp. I tried to open them in textedit, but had no luck. Just a bunch of gibberish when opened. Please help!! Thanks!

Tutorial (method 1) I used:

http://www.funkyspacemonkey.com/howto-recover-lost-data-iphone

1. Wah

2. N J Pinney

I have a bunch of old junk on my contacts for mac email that i try to take to the trash but they pop back again on  the contacts window. How to get rid of them?

N J, 

the above question is several weeks old and as you see you have not received a response to your comment. I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, however, I recommend you to ask a new question. It will be published on the Answers frontpage and you will receive replies for sure!

3. Audiolink21

Try a program called iPhone Browser.  It will only work with jailbroken iPhones though.
    It lets you see what you have in your iPhone and you can change loads of things.

4. Donny

Hey Dave,

I tried but had not luck with that.

5. Dave LeClair

Try this if you are using a Mac:
    Quit Address Book. 
    Make a copy of folder ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook in case anything goes wrong. 
    Delete AddressBook-v22.abcddb from ~/Library/Application Support/. 
    Put your abcdp files in folder ~/Library/Application Support/MetaData. 
    Restart Address Book.

• Jack

@ Dave Thanks a lot, It Worked.