How do online writers, bloggers and certain websites make money?

riley March 17, 2010

The sites I refer to are the ones that do not sell goods or services, like this one, but provide free services and information. I ask because I want to support certain sites, like this one. I don’t want to run scripts/allow flash/etc. from dozens of data collection companies.

What is best way to to make sure “my visit counts?” Alternatively, what is most effective to block data collecting sites? How do I choose who to block/allow, in order to give credit when it is due?

1. Richard Millar

Posting the "Refer a Friend"-Link's (Link's that acutually HIDE the "Real Web-Site's Name")-HTML--of All Your "SURVEY-SITE'S !"--to Your BLOG !, could bring you in alot of Revenue if You have alot of VISITOR'S to Your BLOG !.. Rick !... ;-)

2. steve

There are many ways even if most only provide minimal returns. If you review products, you can use affiliate links that pay a small commission when people buy that product after "clicking through" from your site. If our content is such that people would pay to view it then the "membership model" mentioned above allows you to charge for some content while also offering some free information. If your website is entertaining and/or informative, then selling ad space is feasible.

Riley,

If I understand you correctly you want to know how a websites like these can make money WITHOUT running the ads (ads often collect some data and appear in the form of scripts or Flash content).

Ideally, you can do do without ads and possibly make good money as well. But it's definitely not easy and possibly would requires considerable amount of time before a site can produce a decent income. Probably the best route to follow in that case is to create a membership site, where people pay in order to access the information.

If you're interested one of the best guides to create successful Memebership sites is Membership Site Mastermind by Yaro Starak.

4. Steve Campbell

Riley,

I love questions like this. Sites like MUO provide a service which drives traffic (people like you) to the site to view our content. The very fact that you are coming here helps boost our site's popularity and gets our content ranked higher in the search engines (like Google).

One of the ways websites make money is by hosting advertisements. Advertisers pay website owner based on how many view/click their ads, and every visitor helps. :)

5. Answers Land

if you want to be protected from the data collecting sites than use copyscape.com ! is the best website that detects your content is stollen by this websites!