What is the best online cloud storage service for video?
Question by Joe Balfe /

What is the best cloud storage, that will allow me store my videos and stream them back, the way mspot music lets me do for my music? Capacity wise, I’m talking 100GB+, but that does’t matter as of yet, now I just want to know a good one for streaming back my videos.

• Greg Hunter

Appreciate your question is a little old now, but thought this might be useful for anyone else who comes across the question (like I did) looking for an answer….

I recently came across http;//www.jukulus.com/ which claims to provide online video storage on the back of an internet hard drive concept, a bit like dropbox crossed with youtube. Jukulus.com not only allows you to upload and stream back music and video filles, but also play back media you have stored in Dropbox or in Google Drive. It aims to add access to other webstorage providers in the near future, and lists box.net along with a few others I wasn’t familiar with.
    Being a “propper” streaming service (i.e. not progressive download playback) it will playback MP4, MKV, MOV, FLV and other movie formats, as well as various audio formats including MP3. As a bonus, they also provide free classic movies and free MP3s from unsigned bands, as well as direct access to MP3s from 7Digital.com. Basically, they seem to be providing direct access to just about every other cloud provider that provides an API – fantastic idea if, like me, you’ve signed up to loads of them and just use the free storage option they each provide.
    Jukulus.com is currently in Beta, so everything is free – but even after Beta it looks like there will be a free option for 5Gb storage with charges for 50Gb and 100Gb storage options. Being in Beta generally means the site might have a couple of bugs hidden away, but as long as you can live with refreshing the page once in a while it looks like its could be a winner

• dragonduder

I like using Zumocast. Instead of storing my files (like terabytes worth of stuff) on a server too small too fit everything, it just uses a desktop client to stream stuff on my hard drive too another computer (through a browser), my ipod touch, and other such devices. Works great for video.

• Raja Chowdhury

Try out either either of these three option and see which one may suit you.

Well, storing them “in the cloud” and “streaming them from the cloud” are two different things.

Partially it comes down to the application you want to use. For example there are Apps which can play media from network and online storage and then there are apps the require the server to actually stream the content to the client.

The difference is that the first one simply requires “storage” wherein the second one requires a system that encodes the stored data into a stream of a certain format and codec.

• Joe Balfe

Thanks for the reply, and I kinda know what you’re saying but do you understand me? On mspot music, your music is stored in the cloud and I can stream it back to any device, without having to have my original computer/library of music connected to the internet. I would like to be able to do the same for video.

I know what you mean, yes :-)

But there is a difference between audio and video.

(a) Pretty much any browser can process audio files like wave, mp3 and therefor “stream” it from an online source (“progressive download”)
      (b) You upload music to mSpot and you play/stream it from their server. What you (and myself) don’t know is what happens in between on their end.

On a technical side there are three ways how audio or video content can be delivered:

(1) download
      Once the file is fully downloaded you can watch/listen to it

(2) streaming
      The playback begins almost immediately ~ a few seconds of buffering. Content is delivered with a certain bitrate over a streaming protocol and requires a specialized streaming server on the sources side and a compatible player/browser on the users side.

(3) progressive download
      The file is downloaded from a plain simple online file storage (like the first option) but duo to it’s format and the compatibility of your devices browser/media player the playback can start before the file is fully downloaded.

The most reliable way to get an “mSpot” like experience with video files is option 2 ~ a streaming service.
      Since a streaming server re-encodes video into a stream-able format and bitrate it requires processing power which costs the provider money and therefor will most likely cost you money.

If YouTube doesn’t cut it as a streaming service the least expensive ones I can come up with are Vzaar and Viddler.

If your files happen to be FLV files you could use Box.net to stream them to your device(s) but they do have limitations on traffic they allow for video streaming.

Naturally, I have to mention that it’s not a good idea to store some DVD rips or something at some online storage regardless of it being a simple cloud storage or a streaming service.

• Joe Balfe

Thanks very much.
      Planning on sign up to vzaar now!

• Reý Aetar

use youtube i think its great