How can I get my older Asus SLI dual screen capable?

Paul October 8, 2011

Have an older Asus premium motherboard running 4 GB ram. Putting in a new 1GB ATI/Radeon video card with 3 separate monitor ports/hookups right now.

Is it possible to run two entirely separate screens, say Firefox on one and Windows 7 on another, at the same time, each showing on two separate monitors with only one hard drive (2TB 7200 Seagate) installed?

Or do I have to install TWO video cards (motherboard has this capability) and run the crossfire type thing to get this to happen?

I’ve researched this to death and can’t find a ‘non geek/ultratech/way above MY head answer anywhere?!

Thanks, Paul

1. Autospeedzone1

Appreciate you folks more than you could ever know...

Yes, the new video card has both the DVi & VGA as well as the HDMi - understand what you were saying about 'no hdmi AND DVI at the same time'...

Read up a bit on the links you both sent - THANK YOU!
     Going in to try it now as far as configuring it to see what I get...

Just terrified about screwing something up doing this stuff, I'm no 'tech savvy' builder by a long shot but I did in fact just build this mobo up as far as upgrading everything in it, the biggest problem having been all along that even on the Asus site either everyone is 'guessing' at things, the info is too broad and not on target for 'THIS' or 'THAT' exact system/board,  or the answers are too far above my skill level to navigate, you know what I mean? ;-)

This is pretty much the last step I'm looking at to have most of it finished, thought I'd get some input from some VERY bright people  - which is YOU FOLKS! :-)

Let you know how it goes... (Assuming I still have a monitor to see on when I'm done throwing wrenches into the system, right? L.O.L.!)

THANKS, Paul

Hello, I am glad the answers help you out in your endeavor.  If you have any more question, you know where to ask.  If the knowledge is there we'll be happy to provide answers for you.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Paul!

And best of luck with setting up your video card and monitors. :)

Hello, yes you can as the previous poster said.  Keep in mind that if your video card has hdmi and dvi ports, you can only use one at the time.  You can not use one monitor connected with hdmi and another monitor connected to dvi.  That leaves you the option of connecting one monitor to your vga port or one to your dvi port.   With a regular monitor, unless it has speakers, it makes no sense to connect to hdmi because it will not be able to carry sound.  I would say, instead of getting the converter cable, you can get the dvi to vga adapter itself.  The following is a link showing one adapter you could get:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4475077&CatId=467

Another option is this:

http://www.nti1.co.uk/dvi-vga.html

For configuring dual monitors you can use the utility included with windows or the software that comes with your graphics card.  Of course there are several options.  If you want to read a little bit more about it:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Set_Up_Multiple_Monitors 

Yes. If your video card has multiple input slots (usually 1 DVI and 1 vga) you can connect two monitors. You may need to purchase a "converter cable", such as VGA to DVI or DVI to VGA in order to connect the monitor to the card. Compare your monitor cable to the cables on the back of your computer to see if they match. 

After you connect the two monitors, just configure windows dual monitor layout.