Why are offline contacts showing in my Facebook chat?

Surendra October 27, 2011

Some of my buddies pics are appearing on Facebook chat list even if they are offline. It is bit annoying as their pics are permanently stuck on my main page. Problem doesn’t solve even if I keep them in lists. How to make them disappear.

1. nazia

Hi,, me nazia the problem is tht when ever i being online i can post the pix and also do commnets butt the main prblm is tht my frndz are not showing me online even i am online ,,,, tOO so how this prblm will be solvee :(

2. jalu

ask your friend to do this : go to account settings on fb: select security and click active sessions or edit active sessions. end all sessions except the current one.

3. rajesh

My problem is most of my contacts show online (green dot included) even when they’re not online. Started 1 day ago, and has been that way since.so what to do....any one help me.pls................

4. sanaullahaatif

In my chat box two people are showing online when i send a msg it showing offline.then few minute agian showing online than i send a msg again it showing offline what is the problem that is.Isnt my account is hack by somebody

5. ardogar

my chat is disable

6. Rew_web

My problem is most of my contacts show online (green dot included) even when they're not online. Started 3 days ago, and has been that way since. 

7. Igor

I have the same problem. At first there were just two offline friends in the chat (always the same) all the time, now there are five. No idea how to fix this...

8. Vieras

Just wanted to say that I also have had that problem for long, so on the left side I see all the time 20 pictures, though usually only approx 5 friends are online. There is the green dot that expresses if they are online or not, but depending on the friend's picture it can be sometimes almost impossible to see if the friend is online or not. The way I see it the pictures on the left should only be visible if the friend is online, especially since some of the friends are such I practically never chat with.

I have a limited availability to friends on FB chat, so most of my friends do not see me online.

I tried to explain that is not a problem, it will show both online and offline friends, it is a list just like there is a list on the right side.

I will try to simplify this.

Maximize your browser screen.
      Read further if the list of friend on the left is not displayed,
      Now click hide side bar option from the extreme right bottom of the screen.(see image)
      you will see the list on left side, when the sidebar is hidden.

I hope this will clear that it is just an alternative list to the list on right.
      and only the friends with the green dots are online, others are just randomly present like they are on the right.

• Buddhika

Although it is not a problem to you, it is a problem to me too.

• Jay.0

If offline friends showing on your list is a problem to you, you can't really do anything.

It is the same setting which gmail has.

If you limit the availability to some friends or lists, only those friends will be displayed  on the chat list.

(but it will still show offline friends)

9. Bong

why cant facebook just sort all the online contacts at the top of the list!! how hard can that option be!!

Might be worth a suggestion to Facebook!

I just noticed the reason: this is related to the sidebar/ticker, when the window is not maximized, the ticker can't be displayed as it needs space.
    so the alternate list, appears on the left side.
    you can check it by reducing the size of the window.

11. Surendra

Hi Ha14, even hiding all of my friends under lists is not solving the problem. I'm not sure if I'm the only one having this issue.

Do not forget to make yourself available to your friends again from the list you made unavailable, else you will be appear offline thinking what happened :)

12. Surendra

Jay, I'm saying about the available users on the left side when you hide the default chat on right side. If you hide your chat by clicking on the hide arrow, you will see users who are available only with their pics. Here some people's photos are struck permanently even  if they are not online.

Hey Suredndra, now I understood..you are right about the the right side !
      Even I noticed the same thing.but I was ignoring it till you made me find the reason :)

it is the same type of list like you see on the left side,

like you see offline friends when you are offline, and when you get online by clicking available to chat, you will see how many of them are online with a green dot fromthe list.

It applies the same to the right side.
      you have a random list of friends...when you are offline.
      when you get online.you will see that the list on the right side shows online friends and offline friends.

So you can say it is kind of a mirror image or duplicate chat liston the right sidem that appears sometimes.
      As they kind of copied gmail, they have coded to display some offline friends with online friends also, and that's what happening on both right and left sides.

jab tum offline hote ho...tab jaise left side me sirf kuch friends dikhte hain,
      aur online hone par un me se kuch online dikhte hain.
      Vaise hi right side ka hai. Ab aya samaj me? :)

click on Limit availability on the bottom right side of the screen and then just tick all the boxes on 'Make me unavailable to' section and chose this setting

Surendra, have you seen gmail chat ? they also display offline contact, similarly facebook displays offline firnds, it is by default.
    If it shows you online with a green dot when you are online, then only it is a problem.
    Else what you are seeing is not a problem, it is normal.

15. Surendra

Hi Tina, Issue is not yet solved, but I found some buddies who signed in through FB messenger app are still appearing on the chat list even if they have signed off. I'm also using the app and my friends complain that I'm appearing on the their chat list even if I'm signed out.

Surendar,

were you able to fix your Facebook chat? Please let us know what did the trick for you. Thank you!

Surendrabhai, Chat has changed the appearance since a long time, and it is now default look of chat.
    try this script, it worked for me earlier, I dont know if there is an update, and if it is not working anymore now.

but it helped me to hide offline contacts once.
    http://www.comptalks.com/how-to-restore-back-to-original-facebook-chat

If you do not want to see sidebar, you can hide it.

or you can try to Resize the browser window. when you decrease the size it will not show sidebar, noly chat window will appear.

you can also try chat clients like pidgin. you will see only online buddies there.

Facebook killed pop put chat, which was my favorite alternative
    https://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php