Why are offline contacts showing in my Facebook chat?
Question by Surendra /

Some of my buddies pics are appearing on Facebook chat list even if they are offline. It is bit annoying as their pics are permanently stuck on my main page. Problem doesn’t solve even if I keep them in lists. How to make them disappear.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• nazia

Hi,, me nazia the problem is tht when ever i being online i can post the pix and also do commnets butt the main prblm is tht my frndz are not showing me online even i am online ,,,, tOO so how this prblm will be solvee :(

• jalu

ask your friend to do this : go to account settings on fb: select security and click active sessions or edit active sessions. end all sessions except the current one.

• rajesh

My problem is most of my contacts show online (green dot included) even when they’re not online. Started 1 day ago, and has been that way since.so what to do….any one help me.pls…………….

• sanaullahaatif

In my chat box two people are showing online when i send a msg it showing offline.then few minute agian showing online than i send a msg again it showing offline what is the problem that is.Isnt my account is hack by somebody

• ardogar

my chat is disable

• Rew_web

My problem is most of my contacts show online (green dot included) even when they’re not online. Started 3 days ago, and has been that way since. 

• Igor

I have the same problem. At first there were just two offline friends in the chat (always the same) all the time, now there are five. No idea how to fix this…

• Vieras

Just wanted to say that I also have had that problem for long, so on the left side I see all the time 20 pictures, though usually only approx 5 friends are online. There is the green dot that expresses if they are online or not, but depending on the friend’s picture it can be sometimes almost impossible to see if the friend is online or not. The way I see it the pictures on the left should only be visible if the friend is online, especially since some of the friends are such I practically never chat with.

I have a limited availability to friends on FB chat, so most of my friends do not see me online.

I tried to explain that is not a problem, it will show both online and offline friends, it is a list just like there is a list on the right side.

I will try to simplify this.

Maximize your browser screen.
      Read further if the list of friend on the left is not displayed,
      Now click hide side bar option from the extreme right bottom of the screen.(see image)
      you will see the list on left side, when the sidebar is hidden.

I hope this will clear that it is just an alternative list to the list on right.
      and only the friends with the green dots are online, others are just randomly present like they are on the right.

• Buddhika

Although it is not a problem to you, it is a problem to me too.

• Jay.0

If offline friends showing on your list is a problem to you, you can’t really do anything.

It is the same setting which gmail has.

If you limit the availability to some friends or lists, only those friends will be displayed  on the chat list.

(but it will still show offline friends)

• Bong

why cant facebook just sort all the online contacts at the top of the list!! how hard can that option be!!

I just noticed the reason: this is related to the sidebar/ticker, when the window is not maximized, the ticker can’t be displayed as it needs space.
    so the alternate list, appears on the left side.
    you can check it by reducing the size of the window.