Why won’t my Office documents open after moving them from an external hard drive?

Govinda Pandey August 12, 2012

I formatted my hard disk with Windows Vista Home Premium and installed Windows 7.

Before that I’d copied all my documents in an external hard drive and after new OS installed, I copied it to my computer again. Later, I found that all the folders starting names with B, C and D are not copied even in external HD. I tried to revive them from my computer using an external application (GetDataBack for NTFS v4.0.0.1 Portable.exe); I got the file and folders but all the words, excel and PowerPoint files can not be read as it displays as: “hbin ð ÿÿÿnk É•è?,!Ì € ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ àð HÔ ÿÿÿÿ”.
How can I make it readable?

1. Paul Pruitt

Govinda, try sending some of the files to me to look at. My address is socrtwo@s2services.com. I have been working recovering corrupt MS Office files for 10 years and wrote freeware which recovers them sometimes. I have commercial software to and some of my own manual tricks.

2. Justin Pot

Unfortunately your backed up files are completely and utterly corrupt. I've lost photos under similar circumstances.

This is a good lesson for everyone: always check your backup before formatting your drive. Always.

3. Elijah Swartz

Are you trying to open the files using the same program as you used previously? It could be using a different character encoding that default programs don't recognize. Perhaps you could upload a file to a website like mediafire.com and we could take a look at it to get a better idea of what is wrong. Of course, make sure you don't upload anything exceptionally private.

4. GrrGrrr

the files are corrupted, hence not readable by MS office.
    Honestly, not possible to recover.

perhaps they are corrupted and some time even office repair software can not repair.
    Repair Microsoft Word Files - FREE
    http://www.repairmyword.com/

• Govinda

Thanks. I tried but repairword and repair excel are not accepting corrupted files.