How can I obtain a low ping when trying to game on servers far away?
Question by Hassan Kahloon /

I am using Xbox Live to play Modern Warfare 3. I can’t find games with a low ping often. Is there a way for me to get a low ping from the European servers?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Fakhruddin Ahmad

for me the best solution is using private vpn server. I can’t explain how exactly vpn work, but many online gamers in my country often use private vpn server for this kind of situation. just search on your local forum, there are probably a lot of people providing this service.

• jessemanalansan

You can try using cFosSpeed http://www.cfos.de/en/cfosspeed/cfosspeed.htm

Been a user of this for sometime, It’s actually good.

There is a 30 day free trial.

• Osama Javaid

I have lag issues in battlefield 3 for PC too, I live in Pakistan and my pings are the highest among every other player on the server…

The only suggestion I can give is setting the region filter to a country close to Pakistan e.g. India

Other than that it simply is a technical limitation . If you join a server hosted in northern Europe or America your ping and experience will always be…

Latency is related to the distance, packet size and how much packets have to be send. You can’t change the distance, you can barely influence the packet size and you can only eliminate a few insignificant packets.

From your question I assume you are outside Europe which means that the biggest part of the latency simply is distance related and won’t change a lot.

There are ways to optimize the latency e.g. minimizing ACK packets but the results are within a few milliseconds (+/- 5ms). Also it introduces other problems like no confirmation that packets have successfully arrived (shoot through effect, no hit registration).

If you ping Google DNS with 10 bytes “ping -l 10 8.8.4.4″ you will see quite a nice latency. However, if you ping it with 1400 bytes “ping -l 1400 8.8.4.4″ you will see the latency has about doubled.

Games like MW3 they need to send and receive even more data ~ for the CoD series it is around 25KBps down and ~5KBps up I think.

For Ethernet the maximum packet size is 1500 bytes (including overhead). That means to send and receive all the data multiple packets have to be send, each having a noticeable latency because of the distance.