What’s the best new NVIDIA graphics card for my desktop?

KamilKozyra September 24, 2012

I want to replace my NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS in my HP desktop —-> (h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01625662&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3876397#N342).

What do you suggest? I’m not a gamer and I would like to spent between $50 to $80.

1. muotechguy

Since you're not a gamer, there is absolutely no need for a better GFX card - yours is already quite sufficient.

2. Mallesh Kumar

Try XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800GX2 1GB Graphics Card.. Its super cool. Give it a try... Its little expensive

3. Sachin Kanchan

you cannot just select one, go buy and put it in your system.

There are a few per-requisites as many have already posted here.
    1) Your screen resolution must be taken into consideration. Then there's a more vital aspect.
    2) Does your motherboard support the card you are about to buy? Else it is a waste.
    3) Then you must get yourself ready to spend a few extra bucks on your electricity bills per annum.

4. Curtis C.

gt 520. Decent graphics card and running battlefield 3 at low settings at 30fps 1280x768. Runs fast on low in 800x600 res

5. Erlis Dhima

I have a nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS 512MB graphics drive, and I do video rendering, play big games, and many more things! I don't know what you want more...
    I don't have to add about other versions, since others have said a lot.

6. Dimal Chandrasiri

GT 630 would do what you expect. :) a entry level card bt powerful.

• KamilKozyra

Is it compatible with DDR2 RAM?

• Dimal Chandrasiri

ohh u r worried about the VRAM nd the Internal RAM.. sure it'll be compatible. since System memory is used by the processor. let's say like this. you buy a processor which doesn't support DDR2.. then there will be a huge problem.

bt think about an addon card like a VGA. what it's says ( DDR2 - DDR3 - GDDR5 Whatever ) is the memory that is used by the Graphics chip. not by the system processor. the higher the memory speed available for the GPU is greater since, Graphics have to be processed quickly. get the idea. so what matters is the interface which the GPU is connected to the Main Board. in your case, say it's PCI-E 2.0. you go and buy a PCI-E 3.0 compliant GPU. sure, the GPU will work, but it'll do the processing faster than the speed it can be transferred to the Main system. ( every thing processed must pass through the CPU right. ) so there will be a bottleneck which will effect your system performance. I'll say an example which I came across last year.

I had a PC with a Dual Core Processor and an out dated Main Board. ( Intel D946GZIS ( DDR2 System Memory )). I went on an bought a DDR3 Radeon HD 5550 Ultimate GPU so that I can play games very well. but I din't see a major performance increase. then I got a desktop with a new Main Board from one of my friends. ( he wanted me to install a clean windows ) so I just tried putting my GPU into it and ran a game ( GTA IV ) to check the performance.

There was around 10-15 fps gain because of the new Main Board. so I hope you'll get my idea. :)

I recommend you to think of changing your main board to a newer version bt, you can use a PCI-E 3.0 in a 2.0 Connector. bt the performance will not increase very much.. :)

7. salim benhouhou

based on your budget i would suggest GeForce GT 630 . GeForce GTS and GT family gives you Supercharged performance for your HD videos and photos, immersive 3D movies, and entry level gaming.
    it costs $64.99 on amazon . you can read more info about it at :
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-630

• Ahmed Khalil

yes this can be good one

9. bonioloff

You should check,.. Make sure you have the properly slot for new one..

10. Vijaynand Mishra

Graphics card should be in your desktop's hardware limitations....it should not higher than the resolution supported by your screen and motherboard

If you are not a gamer, why are you looking to upgrade? What do you intend to do that requires greater video capability? Also note that many newer video cards require at least a 450W power supply so upgrading your video card may also require upgrading your power supply to one with a sufficient +12V rail (or better yet, dual rails).

• HLJonnalagadda

Yeah what most users don't realise is how much power a video card actually uses. I know I had to get a 1000W unit as I the 750W one was maxing out on 2XGTX280s.

12. ferdinan Sitohang

Make sure you have a sufficient monitor specification and motherboard specification to support your new graphic card.

• KamilKozyra

What do you mean by monitor specification?

• ferdinan Sitohang

The maximum resolution that your computer can assist and display properly.

• muotechguy

Not sure why this is relevant; the graphics card is capable of displaying many resolutions - it's not stuck at super high unsupported mode.