Why doesn’t the numpad work on my laptop?

Lexy January 4, 2012

I have an HP Pavilion notebook and my numpad does not work. Ive tried the num lock on several occations and doesn’t help. How can I fix it?

1. Kevin Fegan

Typically the "Numpad" is dual-purpose.

Those keys will either be numbers, or cursor control arrows and such.

If that is the case for your keyboard, there should be a "Num-Lock" key to toggle the "Numeric" and "Curor" functions.

There should also be a "Bios" and perhaps "Windows" settings for the boot-up default state that is set.

If this was working fine until some point, then perhaps something (or someone) caused the default setting for this to change.

Hello, Is this a new issue?  Did touchpad work ok until recently?  Have you checked in BIOS to see if there is an entry to start numlock on automatically at startup?  Have you checked if you can turn numpad on when using screen keyboard?  What is your operating system?  To turn screen keyboard on in windows 7, you could try the following steps:

-- click on start
    -- control panel
    -- ease of access
    -- click on Ease of Access Center
    -- click on Start On-Screen Keyboard
    -- click on Options key
    -- make sure to mark, Turn on numeric keypad
    -- check to see if you can use numeric keypad in normal keyboard

Let me know the results.

• R

Had the same issue. Followed your instructions and it now works for me. Thanks.

try to download the latest drivers for your windows from hp especially concerning chip set and keyboard related drivers.