Why can I not see my NTFS network drives under Ubuntu?

Jim Nagy August 27, 2011

I added Samba to my startup applications, shared my folders using the root user, but unable to see other Ubuntu or Windows PCs on the network. I’m using Ubuntu 10.10. Thanks.

Jim,

did you try the solutions provided by Jeffery and ha14 and are you able to see your drives now?

check /etc/samba/smb.conf.If you have in your shares option browseable, if  no this means that you can mount the share but you can't see it on your network  You'll need to edit these..

run nmblookup *
    do sudo gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf . Look for a line starts with hosts:. if the line doesnt contain the word "wins" change the line to: hosts: files wins dns

HOWTO: Share (samba) your NTFS directories from
    Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1586804

Hi Jim,

It sounds like your firwall is preventing the share. Could you temporarily disable it and reboot, to see if the issue is resolved? Whether it is or isn't resolved by disabling the firewall, be sure to re-enable it.

Do this (for GUFW) by going to System -> Administration -> Firewall -> Unlock -> Enable (uncheck) and reboot (though you technically don't have to reboot, Samba hooks at startup). If you are using UFW instead, run the command "sudo ufw disable" without quotes.

Helpful links:
    Samba Documentation (Ubuntu)