What are you using to take notes during lectures? Is there an alternative to MS OneNote?

Jack March 3, 2010

I am asking myself, should I use a computer to take notes or pen and paper.

For my studies, I have been using MS One Note to take notes in my lectures. Full details here: http://www.jackcola.org/blog/28-save-paper-by-printing-lecture-slides-to-ms-one-note

However, I am asking if any one else has experienced other note taking software on their Windows XP based computers.

My requirements are to draw (using the mouse) write any where with text on the slides, and be able to write on PDF slides. As you can see, OneNote has served well, but I just want to see what others have been using. Or has everyone been just using pen and paper?

1. Jessica Cam W.

That's what I wondered too when I was in school, and I stuck with two freeware. For PDF slides, I loved PDFXchange Viewer because it lets you add text and draw anywhere.

For taking lecture notes, I used Zoho Notebook that can be used offline. You can add drawings (using the Free Hand tool) and tables. But now that Google Docs implemented new features (drawing tools mainly), it would work too.

Steve, I want to study the honest way.
    I think I have decided to stick with OneNote. You can share the document and sync it with any PC, which I never did before because the wireless I had was bad.

3. Taty

My main suggestion as an alternate to One note would be Evernote:
    http://www.evernote.com/
    Has nice features and interface.

4. Steve Campbell

To tell you the truth Jack, what I always did was pay attention in class without taking notes. Then, before the test I would just ask someone if I could borrow their notes because I missed a few days and I would just scan them and print them out.

My college also had a note-taking service where you could pay $15 for an entire semester's notes (with practice tests!) taken by an honor student lol.

For you though I think One Note is probably a good call. If you were taking notes in the form of an outline with bullet points I would recommend simply using Word or Thinklinkr (web app).

• Jessica Cam W.

Wow, Thinklinkr is a nice find! Thanks!