Why can I not delete anything from a full hard drive?

Robert August 30, 2010

I have a Dell desktop running Windows XP and an external hard drive. I have my photos and some other docs on this external hard drive.

Somehow, the external drive has gotten so jammed with data that I cannot delete anything off of this drive. When I try to do so, I get an error message indicating not enough space is available.

And, no, I cannot copy the files off of that drive to another drive or to a USB flash drive or to any removable media. When I try, I get another error message. I basically can do nothing with the data on that drive.

If the drive needs a certain amount of space in order to be able to delete data, why would the system let the drive get that full? In any case, I need help because I want to upgrade to a larger external HD and I need to move those photos, etc. to the new drive. Any help is appreciated.