What is the normal temperature range for my AMD processor?
Question by ender /

I have an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 Tyker 65nm Technology.

Right now, after I turn on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv9533eg, bought in Sept. 2007) the temperatur of the Chip is about 60 C.

When I have then my two browser on (Chrome and Firefox), the temperature goes up to over 70 C, sometimes 76 C!

I am not using my laptop in bed or so, it’s on my desk, even with a supporting stand for the laptop to be on, so all the air vents are free.

I have read so many sites with reports about both or either the chip or the graphic card failing on this HP series, I am really afraid it could happened to my laptop as well.

Can anyone tell me, what is considered normal for this AMD Chip model?

• Artur Wrona

I would recommend opening laptop and cleaning area between fan and heatsink. After 3 years of use i can bet, that you will have there thick film of dirt that prevents normal air circulation.

• ender

thank you for the reply.
      I will try this weekend to open my laptop, and see if there is that dirt, that might preventing the air circulation!

• Chris Leonard

According to AMD on their informational PDF they say: The operating temperature of a system or processor is highly dependent on the characteristics of the system as a whole and the combination of components that make up the system. Consequently, the “normal” operating temperature will vary from system to system, depending on each system’s make-up. Some of the variables that affect the operating temperature of a system are: case size, air flow characteristics, installed components, processor speed, processor heatsink/fan solution, thermal interface material, power supply, voltage settings, workload, and ambient air temperature.
    An approximation to the typical reading from a BIOS or an external software utility is expected to be around 60oC-65oC or lower.

As for the maximum operating temperature they say this: The maximum operating temperature of an AMD processor is determined by the processor’s Ordering Part Number (OPN). The OPN is located on the top of the processor.
    Example: A X1800 D M S 3 C
    The temperature is indicated by the third character from the right in the OPN and is denoted by an S, T or V character. Current data for the AMD AthlonTM XP processor identifies the maximum operating temperature as: V=85oC, T= 90oC, S = 95oC.

I must give credit where credit is due, thus http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/FAQ_Rev05_ENG.pdf is a good resource for you AMD questions.

• pceasies

70C is normally the max you want to let an AMD get too, after that it’s pretty dangerous. It should idle around 50C max. Make sure all the fans are functioning and it’s on a flat surface. If you keep it on your lap a lot a cooling pad would be a good purchase to help keep air circulating. If it’s plugged in, you should remove the battery (while powered off) and run it off your house’s electricity, that will help reduce heat and preserve the battery as well.

• Ender

Thank you for your reply!
      I have removed the battery, and are using it on normal electricity, so the battery is preserved.

To be honest, the matter of what is normal temp, is still confusing me, since I also posted this question in a german forum, and there, members have told me that 70C could be considered normal for Laptop chips of AMD.

but here you and in some other places I have read, its saying, its too high…

• pceasies

I’m speaking in terms of desktop CPUs, which run cooler. 50C+ is normally not bad for laptops as all the components are close together. I would say it’s probably OK as long as you aren’t experiencing any crashes, but anything hotter than that is dangerous. If it starts pushing past 70C into 75+ you’ll want to make sure it’s clean and the heatsink is attached well and has decent thermal paste.

• Degru

I have the TL-50 processor in my Dell laptop, and I recently took it apart and cleaned out the cooling system. I then converted it into a desktop, and it has been running on my desk ever since. I have noticed that the fan is always on at nearly full power, even after I cleaned it, and the temperature (as of now) is 75C. I also don’t really feel the fan pushing much air through the vent. I don’t really understand why, as I have cleaned it recently.

• pceasies

There should be metal (copper or aluminum) directly in contact with the top of the processor. The fan should blow air over this metal. When a laptop is closed in a case, it can force air to be pulled over that even if the fan isn’t directly attached. You should make sure you have air flowing over whatever metal piece is attached to the processor.