Is it normal for my laptop to take longer to boot with finger print and face recognition turned on?

frank September 11, 2011

I have a problem with my HP Probook 4520S. Each time that I enable finger print and face recognition login, my machine takes two minutes to boot. Is that normal? Worried….

Frank,

did turning off these features speed up the boot time of your computer? Please let us know. Thank you!

Frank,

I've never bought a laptop that does that, however I think I can confidently say that yes, loading the software required to run facial and fingerprint recognition is quite heavy on the memory side, and 2 minutes is probably quite good actually! 

Bear in mind that consumer level fingerprint and facial recognition features are not designed for security, but rather convenience. They can both be easily hacked/faked, so if you're using them instead of a password for security then I'd switch them off and get the boot time back instead - it isn't worth it. Building them into computers is really just a gimmick to sell machines.