Is it normal for my 15 month old Asus laptop to be showing a warning to replace the battery?

Alan McNamara August 5, 2012

I tried to find out the best way to preserve my battery after my previous laptop battery died at 11 months. I read many articles about increasing battery life and did the recharge cycle when the system showed 7-10% remaining and made minimal use with mains power as suggested in many articles.

Now after less than 15 months use, I am getting a warning to replace my battery. If I get a new battery, I would like to get a longer life from it.

Any ideas or comments please?

1. syed Muhammad Ali naqvi shah

It all depends on the battery and how much you use it. David is mostly right above, but the number of cycles depends on the type of battery, how many and type of cells it has. I'd say the average for consumer grade laptops would be 150-300 cycles. Macbook Pros and work grade laptops will probably be in the 400-500 range.

That said, it still depends on how you use it. If you run a Li-Ion battery completely down, it can ruin it. Not all batteries have a failsafe against this.

2. IrisElizabeth

I replaced my old Asus laptop ion battery just seven months ago, after my first one finally gave me the change battery soon signal after almost two years.

One day I was on it and decided to move to another room and unplugged it and it just died...the battery, that is. I took it out and put it back in and nothing. No battery warning or anything and I unplug my laptop every night to let the battery drain, so I don't know what went wrong.

3. Ryszard Grodzicki

I have my Asus laptop for about a month and it already has over 5% of battery useless. I'm not using it too much so I charge it once for two days and it really worries me pretty much.

4. Jyotsna Narayan

keep ur laptop plugd in as long as u can while usin it....dis'll prsrve bttry's lyf..

5. Andrei

After 1 year, my MacBook Pro still holds about 4 hours

6. Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

no , that have to be weird, usually if you recharge your battery in a good way, it must last for almost 3 or 4 years, here's the tip let your laptop battery below 20% and then charge it to 100 %, and when it reaches 100%, unplug the charger, and try to let your laptop drain completely once a week at least, and if you do so, it will increase its life.

here's more tip about this ::

http://www.pcworld.com/article/252373/improve_your_laptops_battery_life.html

hope that increases your battery life even a bit.

• Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

note :: what I meant by lasting battery for 3 or 4 years, is that it can last for few hours in matter of 3 or 4 years. not lasting it for 3-4 years !

• Achraf Almouloudi

That must be a nuclear battery that can hold for 3 years, just kidding .

• Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

don't make fun of others speech just because you can't understand it. what I meant by 3 years, was that your laptop shout have long battery life along for 3 years or work for long hours for about 3 years at least.

It's mentioned in the link that Lithium-Ion batteries ages because -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/increase-lifetime-laptop-battery/

" One more thing to keep in mind is that Li-Ion batteries begin aging the moment they are produced and there is little you can do to prevent this. What causes the aging is that the electrolyte slowly breaks down the positive plate, causing the internal resistance to increase to a point where no energy can be delivered. A partial charge and low temperatures slow down this process and hence increase the lifetime of your battery."

Also,refer to the post link below to know how to deal with batteries.

Should I Remove My Laptop Battery To Increase its Life? [Geeks Weigh In] -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remove-laptop-battery-increase-life-geeks-weigh/

8. Suman Acharya

it may not be noramal, but i don't think this is abnormal too.
    I'm using Dell for 12/13 months and charge my battery 2-3 times a day (i use a lot), often use my laptop while plugged in but battery is fine, lasts for 3 hrs.
    So there maybe something wrong or maynot be (as you are reading articles about batter life - you know better. its just a comment and experience)