Why does my newly built PC constantly crash with a BSOD?

Zan May 17, 2010

I built it first week of March. I haven’t yet been able to enjoy it because I am constantly trouble shooting it. Like many folks with a Radeon 5750 video card, it was crashing my PC on boot so I returned it and bought an Nvidia GT 250 hoping that was the problem. It is still crashing.

First boot of the day, or when I get home from college, it crashes – cascading program crashes, then BSOD dump, or even a Black screen. It restarts and does the same unless I turn it off and cold reboot. Then it is stable for as long as it is on. I can even play Mass Effect 1 or 2 with absolutely no problems. This was with Windows XP Pro SP 3 on it, and the same now with Windows 7 on it.

Other odd thing is if I leave it off for 2 hours it starts up fine, but overnight for 6-8 hours, and the cascading crashes, usually when I start Eudora and the browser, happen. It also is killing Avast! right now. I have to uninstall and reinstall it every day as it gets broken by the crashes. :(

It did have some viruses on it originally that AVG missed, but I scanned it to death with Avast, and used DrWeb on both hard drives and all removable USB sticks and external hard drives. I have also reformatted the whole main hard drive at least 3 times, and repartitioned it, and reformatted the C partition more times than I can remember. I even switched the 2 hard drives so the 2nd one is now the main one.

I moved to Windows 7 Pro in the hopes XP Pro was struggling with the new DDR3 stuff. :( Nopes. Just as bad.

I have run Memtest84/86 and the memory is fine. Run a couple benchmark programs that didn’t give any results that looked like hardware failure, but I am not familiar with them. Ran Seagate Disk program on both drives as the main one is a Seagate and both are sound.
I can’t even find a pattern to the crashes in Event viewer. Explorer falls over eventually, but it has had a range of problems and one by one I tried to stop them with clean installs and having fewer programs on to aid error detection.

Right now it has very little on it. Even tried using Opera instead of latest Firefox because someone said latest versions were buggy, especially if I used the addons, and I do. Back to Firefox now as I prefer it and there was no difference in my PC whether or not Firefox was even installed. Only addons are a download status bar, one that stops Google Tracking, and Aniweather, an animated weather addon.

The components were suggested by friends who usually built my PC until I moved to South California.

Specs are,
Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 processor, 3.40 Ghz
2 x 2 gig DDR3 ram (good make but forget the name)
Nvidia GT 250 1 gig video card
My old Sound Blaster Audigy 2
and Logitech Cordless trackball mouse with latest Logitech driver

Latest drivers for Win 7 in for video, and mobo, and sound.
Using Avast AV software
Firefox browser
Eudora for mail
On a home network as I live with my son and his wife right now.
MS Word
EditPad Lite as plain text editor
ClipMate in as clipboard extender but I start it manually when I need it.

I am at the end of my knowledge now and fed up with this problem. I want to enjoy my new PC. Help gratefully accepted.

Zan

1. Zan

Bah can't find where to login!

Sorry for delay guys, also been studying for Finals. :(
    Nopes, it still crashes. We set the memory timing to manual and it is as the manufacturer says it should be.

Thurana, Reformatting the hard drives etc will not harm anything but any data I don't want to lose. Plus I have run Seagate Seatools and the drives are both sound.
    The crashes should not harm the hardware because I am not letting endless loops happen. I now fire it up, and as soon as it loads, turn it off. Next boot 30 seconds later, it is fine.
    Not trying another OS as if it won't work with XP Pro or Win 7, then I doubt Ubuntu would help. Plus it won't support a great many programs I use as they are quite old.
    And it is so stable I can play Mass Effect 2 on it with absolutely no problems..

Error messages are not helpful either in Event Viewer or on BSOD.. I will try the progs you mention to see if I can read them.

What I do know is, something in the initial load up goes wrong, so Win7 loads differently the 2nd time and is stable.

I am putting it into Fry's Electronics on Monday when my finals are over, I have had enough. :( I need a stable PC and this has eaten up nearly 2 months of my life!

Will Post here when I find out what they say was wrong with it, just out of interest..
    I doubt it is an incompatibility of parts because I see no conflicts anywhere in Hardware on Systems..

Zan

Hey Zan,

thanks for the update. Leta us know after you hear from Fry's Electronics.

Aibek

• Zan

Hi Aibek. Not yet gone to Fry's as we have been moving house for the last 2 weeks. Nightmare!
        I have found something else out fgor those who also have Gigabyte Motherboards - they apparently have Issues with G-Skill memory.. Guess what memory I have? /groan.

I did get some advice from the Gigabyte forum, though, for QFlash-ing my Bios to help what seems to be a not uncommon problem with the Gigabyte boards, and I am hoping that will fix the error and I don't have to replace my 2 x 2gig sticks of brand new G-Skill memory. :(

Zan

Zan,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if QFlash-ing the BIOS helps.

Aibek

• Zan

Well it stopped Avast getting eaten each new day ... but that is all. Looks like it is definitely Fry's as soon as I get the stuff backed up that I need to do. :( Bleh...

Zan,

So did you manage to fix the issue? Please let us know.

Aibek

You also might want to try running the machine with Ubuntu. If it's still crash, then I guess your problem is in the hardware. Maybe incompatibility between the motherboard and one of the components? Or maybe one (or more) of the hardwares are defunct.

Please also consider that it's possible the constant crashing and reconfigurating and reinstalling might broke the other components (not only the original culprit).

4. jo

try windbg. here's a link explaining it on techrepublic.com. I haven't tried it.
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=203&tag=content;leftCol
    J

Seems like a hardware+drivers issue to me. Can you please give the contents of the BSOD screen. You can use a program called WhoCrashed for that.

If you boot into safe mode does the machine still bsod? Are there any events in the event log? If so reply with them in the message.

If a dump file is produced then this free software is quite good for finding
    the problem. Scroll to end of page for links to install it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you want to be sure none of these utilities contain viruses then http://www.virustotal.com
    is good for that.