Why is my Networx deskband showing crazy speeds?
Question by Srinivas N /

I am using Networx software to monitor my upload and download speeds. All of a sudden it goes to Megabytes speed and plunges to bytes and fluctuates. My internet speed is no where near to such high speeds. Then what is the problem?

• mohit kumar

In my PC too, it always shows double the actual speed. Don’t know why.

it may help you
    http://www.softperfect.com/board/read.php?8,9317
    turn the ‘Ignore LAN traffic’ option on, As installed NetWorx is monitoring all traffic on all network interfaces, possibly including local traffic or multiple adapters including virtual ones and sums it all up.

• Grr

I also use Networx, but only for Bandwidth monitoring.

In case u have Windows7, try using Quick Monitor gadget.
    http://www.thoosje.com/Windows-gadgets-cpu.html

By nature, network traffic is sporadic and bursty. You will rarely (if ever) see your connection maxed out and stay there, nor will it remain at (or even drop to) 0 bytes/sec when your computer is “doing nothing”. There is also the issue of the sampling of the network traffic that is happening in the software itself. Due to error introduced by the nature of the sampling itself, you will occasionally see traffic levels spike to rates that are above what your connection is supposed to max out at. In a corporate network, I have had occasion to see a sample show up at a rate above the maximum the network adapter can even handle (a 100 M Ethernet adapter that had a sample which would have a theoretical peak of 12.5MB/sec transfer rate if you did not consider the framing overhead from the stack showed a spike just shy of 12.7MB/sec).

• Douglas Mutay

Thanks Bruce, very helpful info.

• Srinivas N

Seems that is the issue with the software but can you kindly elaborate it a bit (issue of the sampling, framing overhead from the stack)

• Yiz Borol

Please expand on your question.
    In general though a service such as speedtest.net test the very limit of your bandwidth capacity by doing a “ping test” to a server that’s near you and can handle very high data speeds. The bottlenecks appear when you use the regular web (or torrent dl) because that depends on the server you’re connecting to, if it’s far away (physically, for example in another country, or across an ocean) then your network speed is significantly reduced because the data has to travel very far. Another possibility is that the server you’re connecting to is being accessed by a lot of people, (think google when MJ died) then the server slows down because it can’t handle so many requests.

I know it’s hard to imagine the internet as a physically thing but that’s really what it is. There’s a TED talk out there about this, but I can’t find it right now.