How can I network my PC with my brother’s laptop?

Kelly H July 17, 2011

The PC is in one room while the laptop is in another. I have Windows XP on both computers and run SP3. I only have and use wireless internet that connects to the internet via USB (the laptop as well).

The main reasons I want to network because the printer is currently cable connected to my PC and I want to be able to print from the laptop as well, without it being cabled to the printer. Another is, in iTunes I want to share my library across my network, to the laptop from my PC. But I currently don’t have a network.

Previously I have tried using network setup wizard. It worked for a while, but then it doesn’t for unknown reasons. So therefore I want a free, stable solution to my problem. Thanks.

1. Sara Mohammadzai

im working in an office ,i wanna know if i check my mails and other personal files Are others able to see whatever im doing in their PC? 

Sara,

I think you should post a new question. This is totally unrelated to the question above and you are unlikely to receive a reply.

It sounds like you're unplugging your USB internet dongle thing everytime you want to use the internet on the other machine right? If that's the case, youre going to have a hard time sharing anything like that. 

You'll need a router of some sort, but I cant tell you if it'll work with your internet without more info. If it's anything like the USB BT modem my parents had, it will also have an ehternet socket that you can use normally. If it's just USB, you're probably out of luck. Once you have a router, you'll plug your ethernet internet cable into one, and set up a wirelesss network for all your machines, thereby sharing the internet and being on the same network. 

In order to help you further though, we'll need to know more about your internet device and connection, and possibly even provider. 

• Kelly H

Oh I have and currently use a router. (I think it's a router) I don't use ethernet. And my provider is Bigpond Netgear. I have 2 usb internet sticks that are plugged into both computers.

Hello, in order to achieve what you want, you have to make sure that both, your desktop and your laptop belong to the same workgroup.  By default, any windows computer belong the the WORKGROUP workgroup.  Second, make sure that both are in a private network as opposed to a public network.  Once both of these conditions are present, just make sure to share the printer from your desktop.  Once the printer is shared, you should be able to see it from your laptop and print from there.  To share your printer, do the following:

-- on your dekstop,
        -- click on start
        -- select control panel
        -- click on printers and other hardware
        -- click on view installed printers
        -- highlight your printer
        -- on box that shows select properties
        -- on menu, click on sharing tab
        -- checkmark share this printer
        -- click on ok

If you are on the same workgroup and in a private network you should be able to see your printer from your laptop and print from there. 

• Kelly Huang

How do you make a network private?

• K H

Heeelllooo.. can anyone answer me??

Kelly,

this is a different question from the one above, but one that was asked previously. Check out the answers here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/secure-network/

If that doesn't answer your question, please ask a new question via the respective button in the top left on MakeUseOf Answers.