How can I make my netbook faster?

Maxi3w October 16, 2012

I have all the System Cleaners and Optimizers in place and they do ok, I guess, but it is a netbook. I love it and I want to keep it but I also want to speed it up a bit. It’s a Toshiba NB205 with an Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66 GHz. What can I do?

1. DalSan Mack

I read all the comments and glad you found that Ready Boost helps out a lot. For an extra tip, format the flash drive or SD card you are using for Ready Boost to NTFS to allow faster and larger capacity performance. What I mean is that FAT32 allows up to 4GB of your drive to be used for Ready Boost, NTFS allows up to 256GB to be used, and NTFS is a faster system. Having a short/stubby flash drive works well and keeps the chances of breaking minimal, but using an SD card might offer better protection from it becoming broken from accidental bumps since it barely sticks out. If you would like to boost a little more performance, the Game Booster within Advanced System Care or you can get it as a stand-alone app helps reduce resource usage from unnecessary services when not necessary, and offers an easy way to get them back running if necessary. Tweaking.com's Simple Performance Boost will help you sort through some of minor features and services that you may not want or need to use to gain more memory and cpu usability. If you are braver than that, you can use their Advanced System Tweaker as it has more options. For an even braver attempt, you can go to http://www.blackviper.com and go through the guide for tweaking the services in Windows 7. There are plenty of other tweaks and customizations that you can do, and I have done almost all of them through software as I cannot afford the hardware upgrades just yet. I have done these to all my computers, from netbook to desktop, whether it needs it or not just to get peak performance. If you need further help or suggestion, just ask. I got my netbook to perform about as good as my family's 2GHz Pentium dual core desktop, which says a lot coming from a 1GHz dual core netbook.

2. titus

this better be free I'M not paying

3. Sam Rosario

use disk clean up
    defragment your hard dick
    use cc cleaner software
    clear temp files regularly.

• Caroline West

I'm going to put my Clean-Up program on Auto so it will do its job if I forget. Thanks :-)

4. Alex Perkins

Use a lightweight OS like Chromium OS or a linux distro.

• Caroline West

Hi Alex. I do have Linux Mint also on the Net Book but I am so used to Windows. However spending time with Mint and getting as many features that I am used to in Windows would help. Does a Linux Distro really have that much of a better impact????

• Alex Perkins

I believe so, running Linux on a netbook is the way to go as it is often smaller, easier on hardware (more responsive) and secure. Here is a page that kind of sums up the top ten things:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-reasons-linux-should-be-your-netbook-operating-system/945

• Caroline West

Thanks Alex, got the link up and will have a read through. Really appreciate your help!! :-)

• Alex Perkins

No problem. ;-)

Poor man's SSD: Add a short 8GB flash drive setup for ready boost.

• Caroline West

Nice one, that has just answered my question I asked of Dawud Mehmood. And I happen to have a spare 8GB Stick. I have a spare 32 GB Stick too - would that one be better?? And do I have to leave the USB stick in all the time or just when I start up????

• Jim Chambers

Must be in all the time. Windows uses it for page file instead of your slower HDD.

• Caroline West

I bought a compatible 4GB USB stick yesterday and plugged it in for Ready Boost and "Boom"!.....My NetBook is like a speedball now!!...Really, really pleased. Thank you so much!! :-)

6. Blake Andreasen

SSD
    Remove things not needed

• Caroline West

Thanks Blake :-)

close all unnecessary programs and use windows ready boost
    http://bit.ly/QsNoKq

• Caroline West

Hi Dawud. Thank you for this tip. I have gone to the link you gave and I have a spare 32 GB Memory USB stick.....Would that suffice for Ready Boost to speed my Net Book up or is that too much??

I have 4GB and 8GB USB Sticks also.

• Caroline West

Dawud....I had never heard of ready boost so I am so grateful for your link. I bought a compatible 4GB USB stick yesterday, using it for Ready Boost and "Boom"!....My NetBook is operating so fast I can't get over it! It has properly speeded it up 100 fold! Thank you very much for directing me there!! :-)

Try Joli OS and UBUNTU netbook remix.

If you want windows, then nothing is better than good old windows xp. Just don't let viruses infect it. Use good lightweight antivirus.

Since you are using a netbook, try to run android on it--- http://www.android-x86.org/

Upgrade ram and ssd.

• Caroline West

I've not heard of Joli OS so that will be interesting to look into! Working on the RAM. Got the Android link; another one to consider.....Thanks

9. Justin Pot

RAM is always the cheapest hardware upgrade option, so look into that. Try out Ubuntu from a live USB – you might like it. It runs great on my netbook.

• Caroline West

Hi Justin. Yeah I installed Ubuntu and then changed to Mint and it is actually installed in my Net Book. For me it's just a case of starting from scratch; But does a Linux Distro really speed things up that much?????

• Justin Pot

If you pick a lightweight distro, yes. Ubuntu might not be the best choice for that, though it used to be better for it.

• Caroline West

Well, I have followed the advice from everyone and I now have a NetBook on speed as I added a 4GB USB stick and used Ready Boost which Dawud Mehmood sent the link for. Honestly it's so fast now I can't believe it!! :-D

So now that is sorted I think Mint will be Ok to use now also. I did have Ubuntu which I installed from MUO's Guides, but decided on Mint eventually as I prefer its looks and functions. It's still based on Ubuntu, Right? So now I'm going to start making use of it!

Thanks Justin :-)

• Caroline West

Just an update.....I had to uninstall Mint yesterday due to running slow. I'm thinking of going back to the original MUO Guide to get Ubuntu back, which version do you suggest? Newest 12.10 or 12.04??

10. Harry Barnes

reinstall a clean version of windows and that should speed everything up a whole lot.

• Caroline West

Thanks Harry, that is something I will consider as I got to do something because it is just too slow.

11. Bishal Mahat

add more ram or use softwares like Tuneup Utilities, Uniblue Powersuite, etc

• Caroline West

I have a System care program installed and it does help (a bit) so I may well try one of those you suggested or go back to Glary Utilities. Thanks for the advice.

12. David Zalkin

If possible, add more RAM.

• Caroline West

That seems to be a running theme so I will give it a go. Question....Is getting extra RAM part of the Windows Ready Boost I am hearing about????

• Caroline West

Got it!! The Ready Boost is on and speeded up my NetBook....So I have that extra RAM...Thanks!!

13. Dimal Chandrasiri

get more RAM... and remove programs that your don;t use! defrag the drives!

• Caroline West

I'm defragging, I got shot of lots of programs so the RAM part is the next one I have to try. Will Windows Ready Boost increase the RAM??? If not, what do I have to do???

try appsmaker AppBooster
    http://www.appsmaker.com/index.html
    it can help you to create one profil (free version) to shutdown unnecessary background process so that you gain power for your daily project. Switching back to earlier state is easy.

• Caroline West

Hi, Which one: "Optimal Disk Pro" OR "Optimal PC Pro" ????

for creating profil try AppBooster on the other hand if you wish check Optimal PC Pro Booster option but i am not sure if it is like Appbooster to create profil (check the screenshots).
        http://www.appsmaker.com/files/product-prodID=6&details&language=en.php.html

Optimal PC Pro also has rotating desktop wall paper that uses flickr image i think so.

15. Jonas Nordgren

i use ubuntu on mine :) its like my netbook drank a case of redbull.

• Caroline West

I have Mint already installed (I prefer it to Ubuntu even though it's based on it!) so for me it is a case of starting from scratch which is what I wanted to avoid but maybe that is a better idea. Thank you :-)

16. Deekshith Allamaneni

You may use Lubuntu or other lightweight operating systems instead of Windows for maximum performance. They provide more performance with less system resources too. Also helps you save battery life.

• Caroline West

This is a running theme also in many of the answers. I have Mint already installed so maybe it's high time I use it!!

Unfortunately, you only have one option for increasing your laptop's speed. Fortunately, that option will also improve your battery life and durability.

As Sonny Bass suggested, upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. You will lose a great deal of storage space, but the trade-off is worth it. Also, prices on SSDs have dropped dramatically in recent months and you can get a small capacity one for very cheap (around $30-40, if you price hunt). Or a good quality drive for slightly more.

The reason that upgrading the RAM and CPU is related to Intel's decision to limit the Atom processor line to 2GB of RAM. It also doesn't do dual channel, not that that matters.

Like all Atom-based netbooks, the NB205 uses a Flip Chip Ball Grid Array (FCBGA) method of connecting its motherboard to the Atom CPU. FCBGA requires a direct connection to the mainboard, so it's always soldered into position. Unfortunately, unless you have extensive soldering experience, upgrading the CPU isn't an option, although it has been done in the past. Speaking of which, there was a vendor who actually sold Netbooks that had been upgraded to dual core Atoms, meaning they had manually removed the solder and then resoldered dual core CPUs into place.

Your laptop is limited to SATA 2 speeds, I believe, so an older generation SSD would work perfectly in your system. However, I did just recently spy a great deal on an Agility 4. Those are good drives.

• Caroline West

Thanks Kannon for your reply. Using an SSD is definitely an option worth considering. And Thank you for all the valuable information :-)

• Caroline West

I put the wrong NetBook name up, its a NB250. But, nonetheless my problem is sorted. I added 4GB USB to Ready Boost and my old faithful is operating at Warp Drive!! :-D Thank you very much for your input! :-)

18. Deekshith Allamaneni

Use all light weight apps where ever possible.
    For example, use SumatraPDF instead of Adobe Reader, etc...

• Caroline West

Hi Deekshith. Yes I recently got rid of Adobe and installed Foxit Reader which is much more light weight and looks better too! Thanks for the advice :-)

19. Adrian Rea

I use a dell mini 9 which originally came with winxp. I doubled ram to max 2gb, put in an SSD drive and run win7 and its great. disabled anything I dont use, prefer chrome to IE. use lighter programs where possible, notepad, or notepad++ instead of Word, eyc.
    Much depends on what you want to use it for. Video will never be true HD! :)

• Caroline West

I'm a Chrome user too (can't stand IE). I have also deleted lots of heavy weight programs. I only really use it for browsing and writing as it's not powerful enough to do much else. But if the suggestions here work then I may be able to use it for more things.

20. Nabil ahlhauser

I highly recommend you try using a program called TweakNow PowerPack. It should help along with upgrading your ram and all the other things...

21. Drew Butler

Have you used linux before? Linux is a lot less resource hungry than windows. There are many options available if you go that route so reply and I'd be happy to help you set it up :)

• Caroline West

Hi Drew. I do have Linux Mint (I prefer it to Ubuntu) on the Net Book as well as windows - I am ready to start making more use of it. I just wasn't looking forward to starting over from scratch. But I am going to get started adding programs I want and getting certain files over to it and let it build up. Thanks a lot :-)

• Drew Butler

Glad to see you have plenty of people helping out with suggestions and sorry I didn't offer more. Caught a case of the stomach flu and haven;t really felt like getting on the computer.

• Caroline West

Hi Drew, stomach flu is awful so I wish you a speedy recovery :-)

It's funny that I found your reply in my inbox just now because I had just uninstalled Mint yesterday due to slowness and a shoddy update (including uninstalling the actual Mint OS off of my main Laptop) and I've been thinking of going back to Ubuntu.

The advice I have been given here really left a happy feeling in me because so many people went out of their way to help, nice :-)

In the Netbook I had Mint installed via Clone Drive and before that I used the MUO guide to install Ubuntu. Now what I wish to ask you, is which Ubuntu version do you think is better to go for- 12.04 or 12.10?? (it will be via Wubi, Clone Drive or other even on my Laptop).

- Upgrade your RAM if you can.
    - Uninstall programs you no longer use or want
    - Disable programs from starting up in MSCONFIG

(Here's how to use MSCONFIG http://www.jackcola.org/blog/94-make-your-computer-boot-faster-by-configuring-msconfig and

• Ahmed Khalil

SSD also can make big different

• Caroline West

Thanks Jack. I gave it a try and I messed my machine up (oops) and had to do a system restore....(It works fine now!!). I added a 4GB USB and use Ready Boost and now I have a super-speedy, rejuvinated NetBook....Pleased is an understatement :-D

23. Sonny Bass

Max out your ram,add an SSD