Do I need to a television licence in the UK to use an internet-based TV streamer?

Patrick October 4, 2014

Do you need a TV licence in the UK to use Google TV or Android TV boxes?

1. Patrick

That is good news as I'm going to and get the pc internet tv as I use the computer for everything anyway; however I think you are wrong about owning a tv and having to pay the licence as it specifically says use a tv for live or post live recorded broadcasts. So watching dvds or gaming on one excludes you! I have a tv and it is ancient and have it as part of the furniture or watching dvd's. Where does the law stand on a computer monitor and a 'tv' but with an hdmi socket so you would use it as your monitor? Thankyou in advance for your clarification.

• Jan F.

Television licensing has a bit of a gray zone. I suggest you ask the licensing authority and pay if they tell you to.

Before they switched to a per household license in my area you had to pay for any device capable to view TV or connect to the internet. Even if they were not connected at all and boxed up, even if it was a computer monitor with no computer present in the household.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one?WT.ac=home_plt_check
      Assuming that the information on this link is correct I would assume you will have to pay.

Yes and no. At the present time, you need to pay a licence fee if you have a television set. It doesn't matter how you use it (indeed, whether or not you use it at all!), only that you own one. If you use a computer monitor then you can use watch internet-based TV to your heart's content without paying the fee!