Where can I download a copy of Vista Home Premium to activate with my original license key?

December 29, 2013

I have a notebook laptop I formatted the C drive completely (unfortunately I did not do a backup of my hard drive) and I don’t have the original copy of Windows Vista Home Premium for my laptop. However, the product key is on the back of the laptop. Is there a way to get a new copy of Vista that will work with the product key please?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1. John

I can only speak for Dell, but I know 3 years after I bought my desktop, they sent me all the original discs. (I did the same thing) Go back to where you bought it and see if they offer something like that.

To use the product key on the back of the laptop, you'll need an OEM version of Vista. Depending on the make and model of your computer this may be a "generic" OEM disc or one which is specific to the make (e.g. Dell) or to the model (several other major makes). If you are lucky, you'll be able to buy the necessary disc (without the licence) on eBay for around $5. If not, you'll need the hardware manufacturer and buy a "recovery disc" from them, typically for $30-80.

well if it is OEM version then your serial probably will not work on other Vista DVD, if you find the same notebook laptop then try to borrow the DVD. Isnt there any hidden partition that contain the image so that you can do factory recovery?

Unfortunately, since Windows Vista is no longer being sold, there isn't a truly legal way to download the ISO from Microsoft. Google may be of help to you from here as I wouldn't want to link to something that wouldn't be legal. I would, however, tell you that if you choose to download an ISO, make sure that it is from a legitimate or safe website (may be difficult to find).