Why are the native monitor resolutions not detected by Ubuntu 10.10?

Dan February 13, 2011

I am running a Compaq Evo D510 SFF desktop with an Intel Integrated Graphics card/controller. I have been running Linux/Ubuntu on it for almost two years now.

However, when Ubuntu 10.10 came out, there was this problem of the OS not detecting the monitors, so that I was always limited to 800×600 resolution. The native resolution of my monitor is 1024×768, which I was able to reset to in earlier Ubuntu versions after installation, and of course by default on Windows.

After I did the Ubuntu 10.10 installation, the monitor was not detected. But searching on forums and tech-sites I found this tip. Following it late one night I was finally able to fix it after some trial and error.

So after that I was on the optimum 1024×768 resolution till a few days ago when I tried a Grub customizer. After installing it, the same old problem came back. Now I have again and again tried the above tip, but somehow can’t get through.

After step 2, I click save on the gedit editor and all is fine.
When step 3 is launched in the terminal, a blank gedit editor comes up, but I don’t know what the author means by “then you need to add —-uvesafb mode_option=1366×768-24 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap.” Is it to add this clause in the geditor or the terminal? If added in the gedit it can’t be saved with just this script in the file, there’s an error. If typed in the terminal and hit Enter, the command is not executed. Hitting enter just drops cursor to next line and just a forward arrow “>” awaits. Commands 4, 5, 6 are executable if typed and executed one by one.

I am really really confused with with the “add” in step 3, dunno know what to add where? Please help! I have been held up since last night and I am completely freaked out ! :( And, of course, I change the resolutions to my own monitor’s 1024×768, in both cases/clauses. Thanks in anticipation! I am completely exhausted trying over and over again!

I have also tried this tip but failed :(

1. jaffa

yeah i am facing the same problem today, after worthless attempts to try and fix it, theres no proper help or fix, one person says this and another person says that, then you find a block of code to hell knows where to put it and how to execute, no no no noo, i dont want to deal with blocks of crptic code i want a simple easy to use fix like you do on windows. I only tried to change to ubuntu because windows is insecure and unstable but i guess linux ubuntu is rubbish as well. At least windows does what it says on the box and ubuntu doesnt. Also ubuntu shows one thing on the demo, red theme, when you install it, theres an unattractive dull grey theme. No wonder its very slow to move users away from windows to linux.

2. Dan

@ Aibek: Thanks for the response and interest, Sir. As a matter of fact I haven't yet been able to fix it since I am occupied with school now. I still have my mind on it. I have tried all the above tips, except trying to delete the configuration xorg.conf, as suggested by ha14. I am getting back to it again in few days.
    I believe it can be done at last, although a bit disappointed why it ain't working after all the tips.
    Thanks and get back to you soon.
    In the mean time, keep rocking MUO as you guys have always done!

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. Let us know the trick once you have fixed it ;-)

Hey Dan,

Any updates on the issue? Were you able to fix it? Let us know.

Aibek

Hi to get it as follows
    Task: Display VertRefresh values and HorizSync rate:

Use ddcprobe command as follows:
    $ sudo ddcprobe | grep monitorrange

Output:
    monitorrange: 24-82, 50-75
    24-82 is your HorizSync rates and the second pair is your VertRefresh (50-75) values.

Now you can use above ranges and edit X.org configuration file.

there is a list: Monitor information for use by Xconfigurator
    http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/src/hwdata/MonitorsDB

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    HorizSync 31.0 - 96.0
    VertRefresh 55.0 - 160.0

I think they recommend 1280x1024 55 to 90 hz or 1600x1200 55 to 76 hz

you can try 2.6.32 kernel while keeping Ubuntu 10.10 and see if it will help?

You may be able to use xrandr to add a new mode to the specific output and then select that new mode. See xrandr --addmode and xrandr --mode in the xrandr manpage

There are two sections to take care of in xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 31-83
    VertRefresh 50-75
    EndSection

You have to set both HorizSync and VertRefresh according to your monitors support.

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Here set the modes your monitor supports.

From what I read the Intel Graphics driver have been disabled by default for stability reasons. In the same post the following commands were mentioned to reinstall the Intel Graphics Driver:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

I don't have Ubuntu installed at the moment but I guess after the update/upgrade the Intel graphics Driver should be recognized, installed and after deleting the xorg.conf and a reboot the supported resolutions should be available.

• Dan

Thanks! Sorry to say a newbie as I am, I don't know what HorizSync and VertRefresh values are supported by my computer. Is there a way for me to find out? All I know is the Resolution /Modes is 1024x768 is optimum, and the refresh rate that I remember that worked was 60 Hz.
      Thanks a lot!!

VertRefresh basically is the refresh rate ~ eg. 60Hz
        HorizSync is the "horizontal refreshrate" and will usually be set automatically to match up with VertRefresh.

The safest way to set this up is to use ddcprobe as mentioned by ha14.
        The following will install the command:
        sudo apt-get install xresprobe>

This will print out the supported ranges:
        sudo ddcprobe | grep monitorrange
        first one is the HorizSync range, followed by the VertRefresh range

sudo ddcprobe | less
        This will print out all supported modes including some other information. However, if you know 1024x768 being optimum you don't really need to use the command. Just enter the modes as in my previous post.

If the above isn't working the following should be a safe range of values.

HorizSync 30 - 80
        VertRefresh 60 - 60

6. Dan

Thanks ha14. But my drivers are no Nvidia, they are intel integrated graphics. I am not exactly sure if that's is something to consider about.
    And about editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I just did that last night but not add
    HorizSync 31.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 76.0
    to it but set it like this:
    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection

And for now the system somehow detected it or was following the above change it started in 1024x768 resolution (that's the only resolution available now). But still in the monitor is Unknown, Refresh rate is 0 Hz and Rotation : Normal.
    But as against this latest restart, although I edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file last night and wiped out the 800x600 resolution from the file, the restart at that time did not solve the problem. Still, at that time after the restart, the only resolution was 800x600.
    Now, I still believe that my monitor is not auto-detected. So should i insert/add
    HorizSync 31.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 76.0 (at the end of the section that I have copied above?)
    in the above file of mine so that it might be detected?

And as I was reading the ppa you recommended as the last option above, i felt like it was for Nvidia drivers, so not sure if I should go ahead with that because mine is an Intel Integrated Graphics/Controller card.

install the drivers (comes in .inf file), otherwise proper resolution is not detected. xrandr config. It worked. then enable nvidia driversi restart, and the monitor should go back to the 1024x768.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

EDID data the monitor wasn't being read by the graphics card. possible cheap VGA cable dont allow the data to transfer. replaced it with a newer/higher quality cable and see if it will fixe it.

or

If the monitor auto-detect does not work, you can always do it the old-fashioned way and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Just add some lines in the "Monitor" section. e.g.

HorizSync 31.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 76.0

Or whatever your monitor supports.

Then restart X, and the GUI should offer suitable settings.

or
    remove xorg.conf as actual kernel directly deal with X:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then add this ppa to synaptic repo tab:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

then update, upgrade and reboot

then check driver activation