Is there any MySQL local client that can work around the server connection timeout?

Andy August 2, 2011

I am trying to use a local MySQL client (as the lack of a GUI on the server proved a major problem for me).

However, the server will timeout the connection after about 60 seconds – definitely less than I need in order to learn how it works. :)

Is there a client that can work around this, like for example re-connecting after a certain time?

1. Andy

Hmm, your article seems to suggest that i should restart the server or similar. This is a no-no, as i am using shared hosting.

And I will let you know sir, that it is she (SQL) that does not understand my needs. I understand her urges for command line now and then. But all I need is to update large table B with data from small table A using a GUI in PhpMyAdmin ... is this too much? If so, maybe Windows deserves me more....

PS: actually i have researched some SQL tutorials and the syntax is pretty straightforward. Still, it can never be something i can conceptualize once and then delegate to others (as the intention was).

You can edit the default timeout in /etc/my.cnf for Windows (which I'll assume you use, mr GUI whore :)

See this post for more information:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-configuration.html

Hit the command line is my advice, you get the most flexibility and control.