My HDD is not showing up on Windows 8. How can I fix this?

Greg C September 7, 2013

Hi, I know Google is full of these question but yet I still haven’t found any solution to my problem.
So basically, I ordered a SSD and replaced it in my computer. Now I’m using a Docking Station, I put my HDD in it to connect and transfer my files. They both are detected on my computer, I hear the ‘connection sound’.
Where do I see them?
* Control panel > Hardware & Sound > Devices and printers
* CMD> disk part > list disk : I see it as Disk 1. Its status is ‘Foreign’. I tried to put it online, but it says it already is.
* Disk Management > Disk 1 ; when I click properties it says ‘Toshiba’, so this is my HDD. It does have an yellow error triangle. I’ve tried to update it but it is already up to date. When clicking right on Disk 1 there are only 2 options: “Import Foreign Disk”, “Convert To Basic Disk”.

I still can’t find it, so I can’t acces it.

Hopefully you can help me. I haven’t tried it on any other computer as I might think it will be the same anyway.

I have Windows 8 on the external HDD it has Windows 7 (maybe that’s why?)

Cheers.

From the Computer Management, click on Disk Management
    locate the hard drive right click on it and choose initialize (partition style MBR)

SSD should be attacted to the SATA III port

• Greg C

Thanks for the reply, but if I initialize then the data will be removed and I still need it.

correct
      Troubleshooting Disk Management
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/cc771775.aspx#BKMK_4
      Add the disk to your computer's system configuration so that you can access data on the disk. To add a disk to your computer's system configuration, import the foreign disk (right-click the disk and then click Import Foreign Disks). Any existing volumes on the foreign disk become visible and accessible when you import the disk.

• Greg C

There is no option for "import foreign disk", I've used a recovery software and I managed to get all my data.

yap this is a good solution to not lose data, perhaps you will format/initialize hard drives. Thanks for your feedback:)

• Bruce E

Greg,

Using the Initialize function in Disk Management does not reformat your drive or overwrite any of your data files. It simply puts a unique marker on the disk for the OS to use to uniquely identify a specific disk.

Since you said you had the option in Disk Management to "Import Foreign Media", this is the option you should have used. Also, this disk is currently configured as a Dynamic Disk, which has a few technical implicaitons. As long as features specific to Dynamic Disks have never been performed with this drive, convereting it to a Basic Disk and proceeding from there is always possible with no data loss.