Why is my hard drive not labeled correctly?

Jack K August 23, 2013

I have 4 Hard Disk Drives that are labeled as follows:
E: (B:)
OS (C:)
Recovery (D:)
Virtua l(V:)
My question is, how did my B: drive suddenly get an E: in front of it and more importantly how do I get rid of the E:?

1. waqar majeed

Plz tell me Any one.
    IF you know correctly.
    THANKS.

2. waqar majeed

my hard drive latter is changed .
    windows in D drive .Data in C drive and E drive
    how i fix this problum without data lose.

Change, add, or remove a drive letter
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter

perhaps when you inserted an external hard drive/usb device then for some reason unplug was correctly done, internal hard drive letter was changed.

I must say I've never seen this happen, but the following, may help you to get rid of the additional drive letter. By the way, E: is a "normal" drive letter, B: is unusual in that in the early days of PCs it referred to the second floppy drives, and since then it is NEVER assigned automatically by the system. Still, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use it if you like.

Run "Computer Management"
    Expand the "Storage" section and click "Disk Management"
    In the bottom half of the windows you will see a list of (physical) hard drives, and a graphical representation of the partitioning of each one. Locate drive E: (or B:) in the list.
    RIGHT click on that partition and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths..."
    If you find that there are two drive letters listed there (E: and B:), you can select and remove one of them.

• Bruce E

The E: is the disk label. It is one of the entries used by the system to give the disk a human assigned "name." Simply right-clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer and selecting Rename will allow the user to change it. The drive letter in parentheses is the one that is assigned by the OS (or manually assigned through Disk Management).

BTW, if there was only one floppy drive in the system, it would be assigned both A: and B: in order to allow the user to copy a floppy disk to another. The copy command could not deal with 'copy a: a:' as it would think it was supposed to copy itself onto itself (the source and destination media were the same physical disk). By using 'copy a: b:' the computer would then know that the user needed to physically remove one (source) disk and insert another (destination) disk.