Which multiprotocol instant messenger is the best?

Osama Javaid January 27, 2011

I have many friends having accounts on Yahoo, MSN, GMail and some of them have accounts only at Facebook. To chat with all of them at once, I am in search of a nice, free, light-weight, powerful and easy IM client. I found articles regarding Pidgin, Digsby and Trillian Astra at MakeUseOf and I am now trying to choose one best.

I need advice on which client I should choose? Which one connects to most services? Which is most light on PC resources and which is most reliable? I am also hesitant to hand over my passwords to such a third-party software, is that safe?

1. Cheekee Monkee

Digsby... tried pidgin, Trillian, Miranda and Meebo and keep coming back. I doesn't support video chats though.. but i use skype for those anyway!

2. Dylan Grow

Meebo!

3. mysticgeek

Pidgin FTW!

4. Vin369

Trillian is Awesome. Been using it since recently. As far as resource consumption is concerned, it is quite light, and I am using, FB, GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail as well as Twitter.
    Works as Mail notifier, chat and status update client.
    In Gmail notifier, I can mark it as Read, without opening it in browser.
    Retains a chat history. Highly customizable.
    Also, I can set updates, like a status and comment, right within the Trillian interface.
    Works like a charm with me.

Only negative point: Looks can be made more good. But considering the small footprint in memory, I dont think thats really a problem.

5. Infernodot

https://imo.im/

Its a pretty web multiprotocol messenger.

I would suggest Digsby, been using for about a yer now. Haven't tried Trillian or Pidgin though so not sure how it compares to the other two.

do like your outside-the-box thinking :-)

8. Guille0301

If you browse the web through Chrome you can add IM+ as an app

Link to the Google Chrome App Store
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore

Link to the IM+ app
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bfdplllgoohfmnpnbplklnkegbffnheo

Link to the Meebo (mentioned above) app
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lkonlbjgknbnkfjbihcphkhkijjalkgj

9. Erisraven

I come out strong in favor of Pidgin. I use it on all my computers, it's light on resources, and it works like a charm.

10. hero

I would recommend Trillian Pro. It can connect to all the IM networks and it has added functionaliy like updating your facebook status and more. It is definitely worth the small price tag that comes along with it.

I haven't tried any of the 3 recently but last time I did they all felt a bit "heavy" on resources.

If you are using Windows I suggest Miranda IM (www.miranda-im.org).
    The base protocols are AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Gadu, Jabber and IRC.
    There are tons of addons with new features and support for other protocols including Facebook, Skype and Gmail.

I can't tell you how safe the addons are to use but I have been using Miranda for years now and it has always done a great job.
    Also it usually takes less than 12 hours for a new release in case the protocol has changed and you can't connect to the IM network (ICQ and MSN use to do that from time to time)

• Jessica Cam W.

Yes, Miranda is light on resources, and it's also open-source! I found Pidgin, which is also open-source, easier to use than Miranda though.

Hmm... probably. It might be more eye candy and organized than Miranda.
        If you ever used ICQ2000 you'll love Miranda, tho ;-)

Osama,

Digsby, Pidgin, and Trillian are major multi-protocol instant messengers and have been around for several years. Without a doubt they can be trusted and are just as safe to use as any single-protocol instant messenger.

As for connecting to most services, I would recommend Trillian. It supports Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn plus all other major chat clients.

I don't know how the three clients compare in terms of resources. I would guess that the more protocols are supported, the more resources it will consume.

Hi

All those mentionned programs are great. You can try all of them and choose the one that fits you or the one you like most. If you use Skype then Digsby and login Skype manually

Meebo is an Ajax-based in-browser instant messaging program which supports multiple IM services, including Yahoo! Messenger, .NET Messenger Service, AIM, ICQ, MySpaceIM, Facebook Chat and XMPP; it is based on the free and open source library libpurple created by the software developers of Pidgin. Meebo also developed a version of Meebo for use on the iPhone (native application has also been announced) and a native application that runs on Android mobile phones. Meebo was founded in September 2005 by Sandy Jen, Seth Sternberg and Elaine Wherry, and is based in Mountain View, California. Meebo received funding from Sequoia Capital on December 15, 2005. Meebo includes features such as invisible sign on (to prevent others from knowing when a user connects) and simultaneous connections to multiple IM services.