How can I multiboot Ubuntu 10.04, OpenSuse 11.2 and Windows XP?

Dalfish June 6, 2010

I have currently installed Windows, then Ubuntu lucid lynx. Now I have 20 GB free space. I put the OpenSuse CD installer suggested to delete the Ubuntu partition and create a 20 GB /home partition for OpenSuse. I have already given 5 GB /home partition for Ubuntu. Those I read the grub editing procedure. How can I safely install OpenSuse along with Ubuntu and Windows? A newbie to openSuse. Thanks in anticipation!

1. Guest

This is still a problem with OpenSuse 11.4.

It is utterly and incredibly ridiculous, that you can't install OpenSuse without deleting your existing Linux installation first.

The best way to install these three operating systems in a tri-boot state would be to install Windows first, followed by SuSE, and finally Ubuntu. This will ensure proper installation of the Grub bootloader, which wil automatically feature entries for your other OSes as well.

3. Richard Carpenter

Dual boots tend to corrupt themselves, A better way is to use VirtualBox. You can create Virtual Machines inside a OS without installing directtly on your hard drive. By the way, If you like Ubuntu you should try Ubuntu Ultimate 2.7.

4. Artur Wrona

First of all /home mount point for your partition suggests, that this partition contains user account home folders not the system itself. Linux system files will be on partition mounted as /

You basically need to create 3 bootable primary partitions, then set two of them as / partitions for your linux installations, use third one as windows partition. Next, you need extended partition which will contain logical partitions for swap (witch can be shared between different linux distros) and if you want to have common /home then you can set this up here.

If you decide to go without common home partition, then just set up 4 primary partitions and set all of them, but swap partition bootable.

Install (or un-ghost) operating systems of your choice and under linux (which can be booted up from your distros install cd after pointing relevant boot image on one of your partitions) configure grub or lilo to list all of your systems.

Both of the tools will come with comprehensive manual files, but you can basically copy grub.conf or lilo.conf setting of your ubuntu listing just changing partition info and location of the image file.

Hope that will help you

• Robinck

I can see what your saying Artur, but what about some one with limited abilities, i think your answer should contain more details, less jumping forward. to be honest i would use an 8gb flash for the 10.4 as an extra drive and just dual boot the other two? what do you think :)