How much email is sitting in your inbox and how do you manage it?

Dr.sunil V August 15, 2014

How many undeleted emails are in your inbox? This is a kind of survey question to help know about email habits and help improve on email habits with suggestions about email management.

1. Ben S

I use Gmail's "Unread First" option to make sure that mail that requires my attention is kept front and center.

Other than that, the only thing I do differently than the ordinary is I use a filter to weed out all email with the word "unsubscribe" in it - this removes newsletters, Twitter emails, and the like from my inbox so there's less noise. I still check it every few days, but it cuts down on the automated fluff.

• Dr.sunil V

Thank you. Please tell whether "unsubscribe" automatically reach Promotional folder of Gmail?

• Ben S

I switched to the Unread Only inbox before Gmail introduced the Promotions and other tabs, so I never had to deal with them. Once you switch to unread only, it might remove the Promotions tab.

My filter that removes "unsubscibe" emails skips the inbox.

• Sunil

Thanks. do you mean that enabling "unread" inbox and "Priority" inbox auto-disables Promotion and Social tabs of Gmail?

• Ben S

I assume that it does, but I can't say for sure. I've never seen those tabs in my Gmail, so give it a try.

There are many ways mentioned by MUO authors to manage our inbox.
    I like to process emails as soon as I open it and when finished,trash it.Some emails I would like to keep for some time unless I don't finish the task related to it.So,most of the time,I've zero inbox.

• Dr.sunil V

Thanks. Please tell , what about Promotion and Social tabs of email?

• Susendeep D

I'm using priority inbox style.I've never seen such thing in my mail.

• Sunil

Thanks. Please note that the tabs are part of Gmail

• Susendeep D

I know such tabs are part of Gmail and they can be enabled or disabled.But since,I've not much mails in my inbox and hence Gmail doesn't have to do any such work for me.

3. dragonmouth

I treat my email Inbox the same way I treat my snail mailbox. I read the mail every day, discard the unwanted and file the one or two remaining in folders. To tell the truth, I don't know why I bother to maintain the folders since I will probably never access their contents again.

• Dr.sunil V

Thank you. Please clarify what means "file the one or two remaining in folders"

• Ben S

I imagine he keeps a few folders like "Coupons," "Read Later," and "Funny" where he files emails that he doesn't want to delete. That way he can keep them organized but out of the inbox.

• Sunil

Folders like "Coupons" , "Funny" are okay to filter out spammy sponsors in main inbox!