How much is my broken iPod worth?

Germini May 18, 2015

Germini Asks:

I have an old 4th generation iPod Touch that I don’t use. It is damaged. How much is it worth?

The iPod has a few scratches, it is used, and the screen is blue. The screen is currently peeling off, but I will be getting that fixed in a few days.

I have taken the steps to give my iPod to the Apple Store for repair.

There are no error messages I receive, except for the iCloud error that pops up every time I unlock the iPod (it is easily fixed in Settings).

Kannon’s Reply:

There’s three important online tools for determining the price of used electronics: eBay’s search tool, online shops that purchase used products, and Craigslist. Of these, eBay’s search tool provides the most accurate estimates. I’ll go ahead and explain how to use eBay’s tools to estimate the value of something you want to sell and then touch on the other two methods:

eBay’s Search Tools

To get started with eBay’s search tools, go to eBay’s front page and look right next to the blue icon, labeled “Search”. Click on “Advanced”.

ebay search tools

On the following page, you’ll include information relevant to your device. This includes, but is not limited to, the name of the product (Apple iPod Touch 4th generation) and its condition. In your case, you might want to include the keywords “parts” or “repair” as that will show you what broken devices sold for. However, as you indicated that you intend on repairing the device, the average sale price of your iPod rises from $30 (broken) to $90 for a functional device.

In the left column, you’ll see check-box filters. If you check one of these boxes, it will filter search results for that particular criteria. Of these, you need to check the box for “completed listings”. After checking the box, all search results will show for items which actually sold — and most importantly, the price these sold for.

ebay search tools completed listings

However, not everyone will want to sell their device on eBay. While eBay gives a great idea on how much you should sell something, if you aren’t selling there, you might find out that the item won’t sell for the same price.

Alternatives to eBay

There’s a lot of alternatives to eBay: Gazelle, Craigslist, Amazon Trade-In, eBay Instant and others. The one offering the most return of these is Craigslist. Unfortunately, Craigslist comes with its own pitfalls, which include theft, con-artists, and worse. Out of all the places to sell your device, it’s the only site to offer eBay-like sale prices.

Your iPod Touch (if it’s 16GB), for example, would fetch somewhere around $5-10 on Gazelle and $35 on Amazon Trade-In.

gazelle

Prices on Craigslist

On Craigslist, the same device is listed for between $80 and 100 (within my locale). It would likely get haggled down to $60-80, but as you can see, its selling price is similar to what you’d get on eBay, without additional fees. Since you asked for a price estimate, I’d say you can safely use either eBay or Craigslist to get a ballpark idea of what your item would sell for. Just be sure to include all the relevant details regarding your device — particularly its storage capacity.

Keep in mind that there are even alternatives to Craigslist 5 Other Sites Like Craiglist To Buy & Sell Used Stuff 5 Other Sites Like Craiglist To Buy & Sell Used Stuff Craiglist is an interesting part of the Internet's legacy. Founded over 15 years ago, the site has steadfastly refused to change its minimalist design and easy-to-use posting system. Though perhaps no longer as popular as... Read More .