Why do movies played from my external drive sometimes skip?

Matt Ryan October 27, 2011

Most movies play fine on my TV (LG Vierra 3D Plasma) from my hard drive, but a few skip scenes continuously. All of them play well on my PC so I don’t know what the problem is. Can anyone help?

hello @0d7d0b877d8297d6f421fdd1e1f05896:disqus  ,

Are you talking about Avi files ?
    convert the file to Avi using a free software called format factory (download from : http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/download).

I noticed that some of the movies are xvid 12 bit and some are 24 bit ffds So I tested it I converted a clip of 24 bit ffds movie file to avi using format facory.

and the output was xvid 12 bit.

How to do this :

Drag n drop the file on free software format factory.

choose all to avi >> ok
    click start.
    it will convert the movie, click on view output file, or open out output folder.

you dont have to choose any setting. it will be converted to xvid by default.
    if it does not work directly on your pc.
    go to output setting and choose from the option.

Tell me if it worked or not.

• Matt Ryan

Hey thanks bro, it worked perfectly, I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks for the feedback ! It will be useful to me also :)

Are they all using the same codec? Maybe your transfer rate isn't fast enough, which would make sense if the movie made intense use of graphics. also if the movie must be decoded that will add a lot of overhead time to the transfer. 

• Matt Ryan

I realised that each file that doesn't play has a "video sample size" of 24bit, is there any way i can compress it to 12 bit?