How can I move my Windows operating system to a bigger hard drive?

DavidZ/zpook April 8, 2011

I purchased a bigger hard drive. Need to transfer the operating system and everything else as well to the new hard drive.I have all the tools I speculate. Just would like to know the best procedure.

1. David Zeman

I have a seagate hd. I used the clone program from the seagate website. Thanx again everyone for all your help.Thanx to you guy's I'm learning alot of info everyday.I got everything installed and its all working fine ,so far. Holler at you later peoples. DavidZ/zpook59

Thank you for the feedback, David! :)

2. David Zeman

Machine is dell e3100,Winxp pro sp3.I'm going to install a 500gb sata seagate.I' have Barts pe & also image burn.I was going to use partition wizard 5 to formate & partition the drive.Then use image burn or barts pe to clone the drive.Will cloning it to an external 320gb seagate flashdrive work?or do I have to clone to a disk?Sorry, I'm new at all this, but I'm learning quick.Thanx for the help, I sure can use it. DavidZ/zpook59

up to you to decide where to clone

There is an article using XXClone
    http://www.techhandbook.com/hardware/3048-How-copy-your-operating-system-from-one-hard-drive-another.html

If you have a wastern digital hard drive then you can use Acronis True Image from their website
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

David,

which version of Windows do you want to move and what are the tools you are planning to use?

You will basically want to clone your hard drive. Windows 7 comes with an inbuilt tool that let's you do that. You can also use a tool like CloneZilla. A while back I profiled 5 Ways To Clone & Copy Your Hard Drive.