How can I move a song from an eMail on my iPhone 4 into iTunes?
Question by patrick /

I mailed a song to me and can play it through eMail on my iPhone 4. How do I get it into iTunes?

• rain

All I do is open the hard drive and look under downloads, if you have downloaded the mp3 on your mac from your email.  Then open iTunes, then click on the downloaded emailed mp3 and drag to a file you set up in iTunes and there it is in iTunes.  Next time you sinc you iPhone it should be there.

• 4saleusa

too bad

• Mlarivey

All i know is that if you have the dropbox app and put it in uploads, you can listen to it anywhere. ( you must hold down on the file in the email)

• Grace Sea

I need the step by step on how to get an mp3 file that was emailed to me into my iTunes so that I can put it in a playlist.  I need to have it explained as one would tell a 5 year old the process….lol….

• Mitzi

I need this as well.  I am not a techi just a keyboard user and a very base user of itunes stuff.  I don’t have time to play around with all this new technology stuff that is coming out.  I just need someone to talk me through the basics.

If the email is on your Windows or Mac computer:
      1. save the attachment to the Desktop
      2. open iTunes
      3. drag & drop the file into the Library list

If the email is on your iPhone/iPod you simply can’t on the device itself:
      If you have an IMAP or Exchange account access it via your computer and follow the steps above. 
      If it’s an POP3 account you have to forward the email including the attachment to an email address you can receive via your computer.

• Lana_rodlie

Thank you – it worked.

• Anukul Sangwan

Yes, you can transfer a song in your iPhone 4 inbox to your iTunes, but you’ll have to install a software named “iMesh” for that. Its an alternative for iTunes which can synchronize each and every device which has media. So, for that you have to first download iMesh to your computer or laptop and the song in the email onto your iPhone, Connect your iPhone to your PC/Laptop using the USB cable, and wait for iMesh to recognize your device. Then, iMesh will automatically bring up a list of all the music files in your iPhone. Click on anyone of them and transfer them to your PC. Open iTunes and add the song to your iTunes library.

– Anukul Sangwan
    13 years old, A student of Class VII
    New Delhi, India

• Fahy Bygate

Can I do this to copy a song from a video?

• Evfowler

But can you transfer from ph email to ph iTunes library without another pc? Ev

the above question is several months old. If you are still looking for an answer, I recommend that you submit a new question via MakeUseOf Answers. You will receive an answer within several hours.

• Harris Borawski

If you have any file system application (Such as Downloads, USB Disk, Mercury Web Browser) installed on your iPhone, you can hold on the mp3 in your mail app and choose open with, therefore copying it into your file system app. When you plug your iPhone into your computer and launch iTunes, browse to the Apps tab, and scroll to the bottom. Locate the app you copied the mp3 to and you can save the song out of there and into the iTunes library, and sync to your phone. There is no way to directly put the song from your email to the iPod app.

• Josh Fox

If you’re talking about adding it to the music library on the iPhone, unfortunately, Apple does not make this possible. There may be a way to do so if it is jailbroken, but I’m not aware of anything that does the job.

If you mean iTunes on your computer, you can download it through your email there and add it to your library as normal.

Personally, I think Apple should let users add music, video, and books to the device’s library from the device itself, but they also don’t let people download from the browser or email. I’m not sure why they decided to hinder the device like this, and I find it to be frustrating to not be able to add media while away from home without going through the iTunes Store.