How do I move music, pictures & movies from my iPod 160 and 80GB to PC?

AMY May 29, 2010

My computer crashed, I have an iPod 160 and 80 GB with 8,500 songs, books, movies & pictures. How do I move them back to my PC? My system is windows XP and I use Firefox mostly.

Also, how do I save a backup file to my external drive (Seagate)? When I tried before to save my music to Seagate it would save the music file like a word folder. I’m scared to connect my iPod to my computer because if it starts syncing it will erase my music. Thanks for your help.

it doesn't seem to be a free utility

2. PJ

Hi Amy

Better yet, use SharePod: http://www.getsharepod.com/

I've found it to be far superior to iTunes for everyday tasks, and it's much less bloated, so it doesn't slow down my system the way iTunes does.

Cheers, PJ

3. Steve Campbell

Amy,

iTunes has an option that allows you to import all of your data from your iPod in case you have to uninstall iTunes or reboot your OS. I believe the setting is under the File menu and says something like 'Transfer files from iPod'. This should do the trick.

Once your files are back onto your hard drive, you can navigate to their location and copy them to your external.

The option Steve mentioned is only to transfer back purchased items from iPod to iTunes. So unless all the content of your iPod are all purchased from iTunes Store, I wouldn't suggest syncing iPod and iTunes as you'll lost all the non purchased items. Happened to me once.

• Brucecat23

Hi Amy,
        Your worry is right. connect your iPod to your computer because if it starts syncing it will erase your music. But Apple iTunes is helpless when we come across the problem about how to move files from iPod to PC.

Hence when we have the trouble, we have to find a superior third party program to replace itunes.