How do I move my iTunes library and my photos from my C drive to an external drive?

Pat December 3, 2010

I want to move all my music files (currently in my iTunes library) from my C drive to an external drive. I’ve gotten the instructions on how I would change the path so iTunes would know where to find the files once I’ve moved them, but I seem to be reading information that leads me to believe that iTunes isn’t going to let me move my entire library (stuff that was purchased from iTunes?).

I would also like to move all of my photo files from C to the external hard drive. I use Kodak EasyShare software and need the program to recognize the new location, plus I want to keep all the “albums” I created intact. The albums are only seen in the program; all the actual photo files are currently in dated folders on the C drive.

My whole reason for wanting to move these files off the C drive is to free up space and hopefully increase the performance of the PC. However, I don’t want to be sorry that I started this venture! I’d rather have a slow PC than mess up iTunes and EasyShare!

Have you set iTunes to organize your media files and copy new items to the iTunes Library folder? (Edit > Preferences > Advanced)

If you did so it's rather easy:
    - close iTunes
    - move the entire iTunes folder (C:UsersyournameMusiciTunes) to a new location*
    - keep SHIFT key pressed while opening iTunes
    - press "Choose Library" and navigate to the new location

* the main folder, including all the "iTunes Music Library.xml", "iTunes Library Genius.itdb", "Album Artwork" files and stuff