How can I move from Hotmail to Comcast email?

Beau Beaulieu August 13, 2012

I am now using Comcast as both my Internet provider and email. I’ve been using MSN and Hotmail for each. How can I download all the emails I’ve stored on MSN onto my PC? Is there a program that will download all my folders and keep the formatting intact so I can view them easily using some word processing software? Is there some other way that your experts suggest I go about this?

1. Mihovil Pletikos

why would you do it... i would recommend you to fwd comcast email to hotmail and use it using new outlook interface....

2. Justin Pot

In case you don't know this: you don't need to use Comcast's email service just because you're using their Internet service. I've some experience with Comcast's email service, and it's pretty bad. I highly recommend you don't use it.

Additionally: if you switch to another ISP you will not be able to keep your email address. For these reasons and others I recommend you opt for Gmail, Google's free email service. It's much better than Hotmail and Comcast, in my opinion.

Even better: Gmail can grab all of your mail from your Hotmail/MSN account quickly and easily. All you need is your Hotmail username and password and Gmail will do all of the work.

Head the advice of the other experts here: avoid Comcast's email.

3. Erlis Dhima
  4. Beau

Thank you all for your replies. Apparently I wasn't clear in my search for help. What I want to do is just download all my emails saved on MSN. I was still in the 20th century using dial-up service with MSN and recently decided to get high-speed internet with Comcast. They have their own email, so if I want to save an email with them I will be downloading it onto my PC as well. What I want to make sure is that when it is downloaded, it looks the same as if I was online, too.

Frankly, I would actually stick with the Hotmail and use some "hotmail enabled" Email program e.g. Outlook with the Hotmail connector or Windows Live Mail (supports it by default).

Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com is going to be around for another XX years and the new Outlook web-interface is gorgeous (in my opinion).

The chance that you (have to) move from Comcast to another provider is probable.

You can use Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook, or any of dozens of other email clients for this. Configure your existing MSN/Hotmail account and set it to download all messages from the server if you plan on cancelling the account (since Hotmail accounts are free, you can continue to use it is you wish). You can also set up the same email client for your new Comcast email account, but you may want to have it dump your email into a different folder than the one being used for your Hotmail account.

7. Tug Ricks

Can I first ask why you'd want to do that when there are so many great options available for free? What benefits do you feel they have to offer that Gmail/Hotmail don't? I'm not an expert or anything, just curious.