How can I move eBooks from a CD onto a Kindle?
Question by Ann /

I bought two CDs which contain eBooks suitable for the Kindle. When I transfer a book over, I can see it in the Kindle files on my computer, but not in the actual Kindle.

• Fpmckeown

How can I access my kindle e-books on to my computer

• juds

download calibre and convert to kindle format

• Roots_shoots

Hi there, just bought a kindle and have 400books on a cd. it transfers ok onto the computer but doesnt go onto the kindle.

can anyone help!!!!!!

the above question is several months old. I recommend that you submit a new question via MakeUseOf Answers. You will receive an answer within several hours.

• Ashleigh Watson

hi how do you transfer eboks onto a kindle or even get your kindle to register on the computer full stop, when i link kindle upto computer i transfer books over in the sense of send to and they show up on computer only when usb is attached and as soon as i take usb out they disappear. i cant drop and drag ass dont know how to get the j
    kindle up as a folder and i really need help so it would be much appreciated thanks 

are you still looking for a solution to your question?

It looks like you won’t receive a response within this comment thread. From experience I know that you have a better chance of receiving some feedback and solutions when your question hits the front page of MakeUseOf Answers. Hence, I recommend you to ask a new question.

• Lisa Thornton

I have acquired CD with over 300 books on it.  I have downloaded all books onto the kindle, but cannot see them when I log into Kindles website on my PC.  When I delete a book, it does not go to my Archived documents, it disappears altogether.

Can I also transfer them onto my kindle account to manage better?

I noticed that your question was not answered, even after 5 days. If you’re still looking for a solution, I recommend you ask a new question here. It will be posted on the front page of MakeUseOf Answers, where it will be seen by a lot more people than within this comment thread.

• Lynking20

No you can’t. Those books are unprotected mobi files and they are not supported by the amazon website. That is why you can read them and store them on your homepage on your kindle but once you delete them they do not archive. So word of warning if you want to keep the file always save a hard copy on your computer or don’t delete the book from your kindle or hang on to cd.

• Twkb

|Hi – I have a CD of books on Mobi format and tried all the above to transfer them.
    If I look at my Kindle from my PC, I can see the files in my Kindle, but when I disconnect the USB cable there is no listing or way to see them on the Kindle – how do you get to see the bokks in the Kindle??

• Realchaos12

You have to make sure you double click on your Kindle icon and drag them into the documents folder, not just onto the kindle icon itself!

• Malank

Thanks to all who answered my query, I was able to transfer and download books to my Kindle very quickly. Thanks again Ann

• dotty

HI I got some thrillers on a cd from ebay and put the cd and there are loads there.  I tried to download onto my kindle as well and could see them several times on my kindle on the computer but not on the kindle.  I downloaded the programme mentioned above caliber but where do I go from there?  Someone said put them on there and then onto your kindle.  But how?  I am a senior trying to get with it in this technilogical world.  thanks for any advice

Hey Ann,

Were you able to copy the ebooks to Kindle? How did you do it? Let us know.

• Malank

Hello Aibek
      I downloaded a program named Calibre which Eliot advised me to do and then used that to add my books to the program then converted them to the Kindle format. It is dead easy to do but if you need any more help, let me know

thank you for the update

• Elliott Rodgers

If your eBooks are in one of the formats that Kindle supports (unprotected Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX), PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files. Some complex PDF and DOCX files might not format correctly on your Kindle) in Windows (dunno about Macs sorry!) right click on the file and select open with and choose Kindle…

IF your eBooks aren’t in a file that is supported by Kindle (eg: ePub) then you could use Calibre ( a free open source piece of software to convert them into a format Kindle can use.

Calibre can work with the following input formats:
    and output in the following formats:

This would allow you to have your eBooks in one of the following formats PDF, MOBI, PRC, or if you’re really desperate TXT and read them on a Kindle.

• Malank

Thank you Elliot, your advice worked a treat and I have now downloaded books to my Kindle. Now to look for the free ones on the net!

• Tlcfit

to transfer from CD to Kindle on pc, what software must reside on pc? thanks

As far as I know the kindle reads the following formats:

Kindle (.azw), text (.txt), Mobi (.mobi, .prc)

As long as your ebooks are in PRC format you can use the Kindle Sync software: