How do I move an application from the C: drive to another local drive?

rimaz nazeer September 12, 2012

I recently downloaded a game (Windows), but it installed by itself and never gave me the option to select where to install it and so it has been installed on the C: drive. Any ideas about how I just move the installation from the C: drive to another local drive?

Thanks.

1. Benjamin Glass

As far as I know, there is no way to do this.

Hello, you might want to try Steam mover:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/03/steam-mover-automated-tool-to-move-games-and-apps-to-other-drives/

Of course the best way would be to uninstall and then when installing back make sure to use a custom installation instead of default.

3. Sumaiya

try cut pasting..

4. Abidhusain Momin

Some games are easy to move like I am using GTA vice city and GTA san andreas copy paste forms.. I copy anywhere and just double click application rans smoothly... So this question is quite easy if your game is simple but its based on Registry and other data.. then its a difficult to move.

5. Rakesh Mishra

goto program files in c: and cut the folder of your application in other drive i have tried oncs and works for me

6. Erlis Dhima

What the best way would be is:
    1. Copy the game save files and/or settings
    2. Clean uninstall your installed game
    3. Install the game into the new location
    4. Copy the save files you copied before, and paste them to the location they were before!
    5. Run the game!
    :)

7. Gian Singh

Just install it on the other drive

8. Aditya Roy

Try Cut+Paste
    Otherwise reinstall

9. Saurav Azad

Program files are registered when loaded so just moving won't work if you don't want to install them. The only way of getting everything and still be operational on new system is to use Ghost or a program like it. Once transferred, you can uninstall from existing. May find a good shareware or even freeware at http://www.downloads.com.

10. jrasulev

You can simply try to copy paste to a new location. This worked with CS 1.6, GTA San Andreas and Warkraft Fronthen Throne before

11. Vasudevan M

Reinstalling the game would be the best option. Moving the installation would disturb the integrity of it.

If you have already started playing the game and have progressed quite a bit, then you may first take a backup of the game’s save files then uninstall it.

While installing the game, check if the setup gives you a “Custom” or “Advanced” installation option which will allow you to change the target folder. If the installer doesn’t give you any option and just auto-installs, it might be a compressed self extractor file, try opening the setup file using 7zip/WinRAR and manually extract the files to the desired partition.

If still no go, contact the publisher of the game.

12. Jeremy

I have always had two partitions on my Windows PC: C:\ and D:\. I tend to always install software on my D:\ drive unless it is explicitly recommended that I install it on my system C:\.

It is rather complicated and counter-productive to move a program installation from C:\ to D:\. The easiest will be to reinstall the game and this time point the installation to the D:\ drive.

13. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

it that was auto install, all i know nothing can be done to it since it auto cnfigure by publisher of the game... but u can try download it all together but this time try save at local d or other and see if the installation place got change.

15. Ahmed Khalil

it is very difficut issue and usually not clean and can damage the game, best solution is reinstall in the new location

If it is using XML files for its configuration, you may be able to just move the files from one location to another and change the references in the configuration files. If it put stuff into the registry, those entries may need to be modified as well. Or you could uninstall it and reinstall it on the drive you wish if it offers an option to alter Advanced Settings which seems to be a common way of doing this now instead of letting the user choose every time ad the default behavior.