Why does my mouse randomly jump to corners of my screen?

DON June 30, 2010

Have you tried the mouse on a different computer?

I sometimes have this problem with my mouses. It happens to me on an old ball mouse and on a optical mouse (different computers) - my solution was not to use it, but I know what you mean, it's incredible annoying.

Have you tried disabling the built in mouse using your bios. This did the trick for me.

Don,

did this behavior suddenly start recently or did it start slowly?
    If it came up suddenly, did you change anything, recently?

Is it a mechanical or an optical mouse?
    An optical mouse has a light diode at the bottom. You will see the light it emits.
    A mechanical mouse has a ball at the bottom.

If it's an optical mouse, your surface might be irritating it. Try to run it on a mouse pad. A clean piece of paper will also do for testing. If that doesn't help, maybe the optics are broken. You could try to carefully clean the photo diode with a Q-tip.

If it's a mechanical mouse, dust and dirt may have accumulated around the ball. Usually it's possible to remove the ball for cleaning. Try that and thoroughly clean out the dirt.

One more question. Are you working on a laptop?
    Maybe it's not your mouse, maybe it's the touchpad of your laptop that makes the mouse cursor jump on your screen. Try to turn it off.

Please let us know whether any of this helped. Thank you!

• Don

Thank you!! NO! its usb optical , i have tried 4 different mice 1 was a ps2 connector all logitech,
      it's happening more and more every day and it's a desktop, have cleaned it. Usb front and back, large flat desktop pad. I tried to update driver , am not an administrator. ???

Don,

since you used several mice, it doesn't sound like you're having an issue with the hardware itself. Thus uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse driver would have been my next recommendation. However, if you're not the Administrator you won't be able to do that.

I would also suggest to scan for malware, but that would require you to install software or browser plugins for the scans to work. So you're stuck again, unless you can get administrator access. Is this a work computer?

What type of keyboard do you have. Does the keyboard have a trackstick?
        Does it also happen when you unplug the keyboard or other USB devices?

• Don

THANK YOU i BOUGHT ANOTHER MOUSE A (iONE LYNX- M9) NEVER HEARD OF IT BEFORE , WORKS GREAT NO PROBLEMS (??????)( USB OPTICAL) WHO OF THUNK?? THANKS AGAIN DON

Don,

glad you were able to solve the issue.

• Shadow

Thanks alot for your advice, it has help me solve a problem with my dell mouse (mechanical mouse). i have been trying to figure out why my mouse is erratically jumping across the screen. your method of cleaning dirt off the ball worked perfectly. thanks

• Animefreak_4_life

how do you turn off the scroll bar on the touch pad?

Please submit a new question. Click the Ask a Question button in the top right and fill in the form. Thank you!