Why is my mouse pointer always blinking?

Chandan Kanti Das November 5, 2014

My computer’s (Window 8 – 32 bit) mouse pointer is constantly blinking and there’s one extra icon (hour glass) that appears along with it – what should I do? What is causing the issue and how can I fix it?

1. ibbotech

There are a number of possibilities that can cause this. It could be that there is a application that is hung up and isn't running correctly causing high cpu usage. Malfunctioning drivers for the mouse or the software that runs the mouse (if there is one installed). An infection trying to control the mouse (either malware or virus). Cheap mouse with going bad batteries in it.

Things to try:
    If the mouse is a usb mouse, try plugging it into a different usb port.

Run windows update to make sure everything is up to date.

Download and install the driver for the mouse from the manufacture's website.

Open task manager and find the highest % usage process and end it.

Run your anti-virus scans.

If you do not have Malwarebytes installed, download and run it (www.malwarebytes.org)

open cmd (command prompt) with administrative rights
    type: sfc /scannow and hit enter, wait the scan to finish
    type: chkdsk /r and hit enter, wait the scan to finish
    reboot

Try a different mouse.

2. Christoffer Gullestrup

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be an active Internet Explorer "web slice" running in the background, preventing Internet Explorer from closing. I had to forcefully close the instance in the Task Manager.

Once I removed the web slice, from the favourites bar, the blinking stopped, and I could get Internet Explorer to close completely.

Could be the same problem?

3. Susendeep.D

Go to task manager --> CPU % tab,identify the highest % usage process and end the process.

perhaps something going in the background like windows updates, scan antivirus....maybe your printer

open cmad with administrative rights
    reboot