Why does my mouse make a double-click even though I click only once?

Til Man November 4, 2012

Hi!

I have recently started having a strange problem with my mouse. Sometimes it makes a double-click even though I click only once. Now the strange thing is that this does not happen always, nor does it always happen the same way. Sometimes the second click comes immediately after the first one (i.e. very very fast) and sometimes it comes like up to a second later, clicking wherever my mouse is at that moment. This problem does not appear all the time, so most of the time the mouse still works normally.

The problem persists after restarting the computer. I have not installed anything lately nor updated the mouse drivers, so I can’t really imagine what could be the reason. The question is, what do I have to do to get rid of the problem? Reinstall the mouse drivers? Buy a new mouse? Reinstall Windows (I might do that anyway rather sooner than later)?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I’m using a Logitech G700 mouse.

1. Rama moorthy

try the mouse in another computer .. this is the common problem for me .. actually the buttons (or switches) in the mouse will work like mad after numerous number of clicks made, some manufacturer in the mouse box itself printed that mouse will be capable of working good until 1,00,000,00 clicks.. I have changed my mouse for this problem.. so you better change the mouse .. before changing try this go to "control panel >>mouse>> and select switch primary and secondary buttons" in this method your left button work as right click , and right button work as left click.. and if the same problem persists(problem in left button during normal mode and problem in right button during switch primary and secondary buttons options..) the problem in your software or in both buttons of your mouse..

2. Harish Jonnalagadda

I was facing a similar issue with the Lachesis! Thought I was just clicking a lot.

3. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Someone might accidentally activated the function. Go to control panel>mouse
    There you can see the checkbox to turn it off.

The microswitch under the mouse button may be failing. Usually the left click switch that gets the most use goes first. Get a new mouse.

5. Indronil Mondal

a bad key try to solder and alere the left key with right key or take the switches from an old damaged mouse
    or get a new mouse

6. Nikhil Chandak

u can replace ur mouse with a new one
    or repair it !

Hello, from what you are saying the mouse itself might be having mechanical problems. Oftentimes, if there is nothing mechanically wrong with it, it is only a matter of cleaning it. Sometimes things get stuck in between the keys and can cause this problem. The best thing to do if possible would be get a new mouse and then this problem should be gone. Second best option is to clean properly.

uninstall mouse driver reboot replug mouse, see if this fix the problem.

9. Aniket Singh

may its a problem of mouse…but see mouse setting in control panel….may it set on single click only if its not this then it is a problem of mouse….

10. Boni Oloff

Yes, maybe you should check again the mouse in the other computer, does it doing the same thing. If not, then it is the computer problem. But in my experience it is because the mouse mechanical problem. Try to get a good mouse, and not the cheap one.

11. Aniket Singh

may its a problem of mouse...but see mouse setting in control panel....may it set on single click only if its not this then it is a problem of mouse....

12. Erlis Dhima

The first thing to do is to try with another mouse! If it still has this problem, try uninstalling the mouse driver, and reinstall it again. (probably it would be better to not install the updated driver).. If the problem is still there, that means you probably have a virus or a malware.. Probably this was caused by a corrupted installed driver or maybe from other installed programs or other things...

13. josemon maliakal

try with a different mouse and check whether the problem still exists..if not that will the problem of mouse

Based on your description, it is most likely a mechanical issue with the mouse.

15. Yiz Borol

If you have another computer in nearby try using the mouse with it for an extended period of time (2-3 days) and see if it's the mouse or computer that is causing the issue.

If the problem persists on the other computer, it's most likely the mouse, in which case your only real option is to get a new one.

If you don't see the problem on the other computer, i would recommend completely uninstalling the mouse drivers, restarting the computer and reinstalling the drivers BEFORE plugging the mouse in. then plug in and see what happens.

• Douglas Mutay

Totally agree with you Yiz.

16. Boni Oloff

Maybe the mechanical system for click is not working properly anymore.