Why does my motherboard not work unless I manually clear the CMOS before booting?

Daniel Zeballo February 4, 2011

I have this motherboard that’s driving me crazy. It doesn’t start, no beeps, no video, power supply is ok, coolers, hard drive start fine, I’ve tested all components in another PC separately and they all worked fine including RAM.

The funny thing is: when I clear CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard, works just fine, of course with the CMOS error displayed and pressing F1 to continue. If I reset on turn it off, it doesn’t work anymore.

Spec:
Asus A8N-SLI SE / Processor Athlon 64 / Chipset NVidia nForce 4 SLI/ 512Ram DDR / 120GB HDD.

Please HELP!!!
Thanks in advance!

1. Me

had same problem, was cmos battery

Thanks for the tip!

Hey Daniel,

Were you able to fix the issues using the recommendations provided above? Let us know.

Aibek

3. Ammadey Naxyr

Change your CMOS battery and try again

Hello make sure your CMOS battery is not loose. Double check that your wires coming from the psu to your hardware are sitting tight

Remove ALL components except the CPU, Graphics card [+ Monitor], Keyboard and Mouse and see if you get an beep error for missing RAM [without CMOS reset].
    If so add the RAM and see if the system boots up (shows something on the monitor, most likely "no bootable medium found").

Also, I suggest to read through the following thread:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/87166-solved-asus-motherboard-a8n-sli-premium-no-postno-videono-beeps/

Some problems mentioned in there are:
    - loose CMOS Battery
    - loose or missing ATX +12V Connector
    - incompatible Memory (Timings, Frequency)

Other than that your description also suggest to check if the CPU is placed correctly within the Socket ~ errors caused by that are sometimes a bit curious. I once had a problem where Windows would show "4GB RAM, 2GB usable" and it turned out the CPU wasn't correctly fitted into the Socket.

Hi
    Try to flash the Bios with a new one. Also check for any shorted near CMOS Battery and Jumper.

Also making sure your power and clock settings are appropriate in the bios. not having appropriate values there can give you some really weird problems

If the CMOS battery is old then Just replace with the battery that can run on the CPU voltage.

Can also be a problem of ram, adjust the ram voltage to the value needed to run..